THE INTREPIDS & THE INSTITUTION WEBPAGE

It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fury or Domination that is the question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:46 pm 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

So I've been thinking of a new toon (or a rehash of a old toon really) and i have a problem i cant decide between a gravity/energy Dominator or a energy melee/energy aura brute

both power sets would work both have there advantages and downsides

Brutes are self sufficient from the get go and can solo well all the way from 1 to 50 pluss with energy melee theres lots of high damage single target attakes that should make soloinga breeze. but they bring very little to teems and with the majority of the player base viewing brutes as the CoV tanks i could find surviving in a team problematic

Dominators on the other hand don't solo so well at early lvls but they do improve in the later game. Gravity also has some pretty good control from what i can see which would help when teaming and energy assault has some good attakes later on so i should do well for damage.

What I'm looking for is any advice from any one who's played any of these sets (i know blast has a energy/energy brute) give me a idea what powers are good etc and which suck.

Cheers

Angus(1), Mr Meccano(9), Hard Target(5), Big Zero(18), Anubis(9), Dummy(1)

CoH Globals: @MESS or @TRASH
Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians
Tainted Mess (50) Brute, TRASH (50) Brute, Magmite (50) Brute, Smelt Furnace (50) Brute

The rest of my Alts

Twitter (don't expect me to update it)

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

I have to say Energy/Energy Brutes are very tough to play solo until level 30. Endurance is always an issue, even with Stamina, until you get Energy Drain at level 28. And enemy bosses or EBs with Psy attacks or -acc are quite hard to beat without Overload at level 38. But once these 2 powers are in the build and well slotted Energy/Energy brutes are very powerful, I don't even use green inspirations during solo missions at relentless.

I don't have much experience with dominators on the other hand. I currently have a level 15 Mind/Psy Dominator, which I stopped developing some time ago, but he was an easy, yet slow, solo player until level 15 as far as I remember...

The Intrepids:
Blastor-Level 50 Energy/Fire/Electrical Blaster, Dr. Blast-Level 50 Robotics/Force Field/Mace Mastermind, Holy Blast-Level 50 Peacebringer, Blasting Spines-Level 50 Spines/Regeneration/Body Scrapper, Heatblast-Level 50 Invulnerability/Fiery/Pyre Tanker, Fire Blast-Level 50 Fire/Kinetics/Leviathan Corruptor, Thunder Steel-Level 50 Ninja/Ninjitsu/Mu Stalker, Israfel the Fallen-Level 50 Sonic/Thermal/Dark Corruptor, Blastor Ascended-Level 50 Psychic/Energy/Force Blaster, Fright-Level 50 Kinetic/Dark Armour/Energy Brute, Calibro-Level 50 Dual Pistols/Radiation/Power Corruptor, Nlidia-Level 50 Gravity/Storm/Ice Controller.

The Institution:
Admiral Blast-Level 50 Energy/Energy/Mace Brute, Darkest Blast-Level 50 Mind/Psionic/Leviathan Dominator, Arbiter Blast-Level 50 Crab/Mace Arachnos Soldier, Unmerciful Steel-Level 50 Dual Blades/Willpower/Soul Brute, Mind Blaster-Level 50 Dark Miasma/Psychic/Psychic Defender, Blastor Reborn-Level 50 Ice/Electric/Force Blaster, Superiora-Level 50 Invulnerability/Super Strength/Energy Tanker, Gaia Queen-Level 50 Plant/Empathy/Stone Controller, Shadow Seer-Level 50 Fortunata/Soul Arachnos Widow, Zamana-Level 50 Time/Beam Rifle Defender, Wild Raven-Level 50 Will Power/Street Justice/Energy Tanker, Nlador-Level 50 Titan/Fiery Brute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:14 pm 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

I'm surprised to here you say that about the brute blast looking at energy it should be a fairly good power set comparing it to stone (i have a lvl 8 fire/stone) then again stone has the self heal and from my elec experience a self heal can help a lot in those early lvls

Been looking more at mids and have to say I'm looking at the dominator gravity has some fun looking powers (Propel/wormhole and the dimension shift) plus those knock back powers could benefit from some interesting IOs

Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians
Tainted Mess (50) Brute, TRASH (50) Brute, Magmite (50) Brute, Smelt Furnace (50) Brute

The rest of my Alts

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:07 am 

When it comes to solo play I would definitely recommend the dominator....even at early levels dominators will defeat all (especially since they have attack powers in the secondary where as the heroic controllers have some major issue doing good damage at low levels) and I almost never run out of endurance with my dom. Should my endurance get low due to a long fight i will activate dominate and I will immediately have a full endurance bar again plus I will do far more damage while dominate is active so the fight should over quickly after that.

My experience with brutes is that endurance is once again a major issue until you finally get stamina and even then you may want to spend a lot of inf to get numina/miracle +rec enhancement if you can afford it.
Also..at low level my brute actually dies from time to time when soloing where my dominator might get hit once by an enemy before they are about to die.

I do not buy any special enhancements at low lvl but I will slot any accuracy enhancement that drops. With 2 training acc slotted in a power I can easily solo the low levels until I can start building IO's with the money I made.

AP

CoV (lvl 50): Mistress of Souls (Mastermind), Mistress of Roses (Dominator), Rising Nova (Corruptor), Annie last Words (Stalker), Sister Silk (Fortunata), Sister Inquisitor (Widow), Metal Mynx (Brute), Static Shutdown (brute)

DC Online:
PvE: Airstrike (level 12 Hero, Tanker), Catastrophe (level 25 Villain, Healer)
PvP: Ghost Games (level 12 Hero, Controller)

CO: AnnaPuna (26), Annihilator (12), , Crimson Shadow (22), Enforcer (13), Law of the Dead (12), Reaper (13), Yeti (14), Slither (12), Penny Playful (14)

Aion: Aiyana (Spiritmaster)/Gorgos, Lilyth (Chanter)/Perento, Lilyth (Chanter)/Telemachus

"May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine."
Frank Sinatra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:52 pm 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

Hehe sounds like your the oposit experience from me normally my dominator's die frequently while my brutes steamroller on

Any ways for the time being I've went with the grav/energy Domi and at lvl 5 its so far so good long as i mind to hold one target while i dispatch the other things tend to work in my faver

Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians

The rest of my Alts

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

Another thing about defence based ATs like energy brutes is that they shine once all shields all fully slotted. Until then they're quite helpless without any self-heal powers unlike other brute secondaries (Electric armour doesn't have self-heal either but resistance is more valuable than defence at early stages).

Having said that, compared with other secondaries at level 50 with proper slotting, Energy Aura is the best in my opinion. And it's huge fun to play with various tools like self invisibility, energy drain power which recharges fast and doesn't require hit and resistance to repel...

The Intrepids:
Blastor-Level 50 Energy/Fire/Electrical Blaster, Dr. Blast-Level 50 Robotics/Force Field/Mace Mastermind, Holy Blast-Level 50 Peacebringer, Blasting Spines-Level 50 Spines/Regeneration/Body Scrapper, Heatblast-Level 50 Invulnerability/Fiery/Pyre Tanker, Fire Blast-Level 50 Fire/Kinetics/Leviathan Corruptor, Thunder Steel-Level 50 Ninja/Ninjitsu/Mu Stalker, Israfel the Fallen-Level 50 Sonic/Thermal/Dark Corruptor, Blastor Ascended-Level 50 Psychic/Energy/Force Blaster, Fright-Level 50 Kinetic/Dark Armour/Energy Brute, Calibro-Level 50 Dual Pistols/Radiation/Power Corruptor, Nlidia-Level 50 Gravity/Storm/Ice Controller.

The Institution:
Admiral Blast-Level 50 Energy/Energy/Mace Brute, Darkest Blast-Level 50 Mind/Psionic/Leviathan Dominator, Arbiter Blast-Level 50 Crab/Mace Arachnos Soldier, Unmerciful Steel-Level 50 Dual Blades/Willpower/Soul Brute, Mind Blaster-Level 50 Dark Miasma/Psychic/Psychic Defender, Blastor Reborn-Level 50 Ice/Electric/Force Blaster, Superiora-Level 50 Invulnerability/Super Strength/Energy Tanker, Gaia Queen-Level 50 Plant/Empathy/Stone Controller, Shadow Seer-Level 50 Fortunata/Soul Arachnos Widow, Zamana-Level 50 Time/Beam Rifle Defender, Wild Raven-Level 50 Will Power/Street Justice/Energy Tanker, Nlador-Level 50 Titan/Fiery Brute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:34 pm 

i dont know about the combo on a brute but i do know from personal experience on Foxie (stalker) that energy/energy is great against most accept psi or toxic.. thats where you get unstuck.. i would say without a self heal you may find yourself using insps while your lvling the toon maybe not at the higher lvls but certainly at the lower stage... having the demonic aura helped as well ^^

Heroes

Mistress Heal (lvl 50 Defender)/(lvl 32 Defender)
Rockealie (lvl 50 tanker)
Nictus Heal (lvl 50 Warshade)
Kheldian Heal (lvl 50 Peacebringer)
Felispine (lvl 50 Scrapper)
Tickled Pink (lvl 50 Tanker)
Evasive (lvl 50 Scrapper)
Amplified (lvl 50 Blaster)
Madame Heal (lvl 50 Defender)
Dominatrix Heal (lvl 50 Controller)
Countess Heal (lvl 50 Defender)
Healie (lvl 32 Scrapper)
Black Chastity (lvl 37 Scrapper)
Sakhmet (lvl 32 Scrapper)
Feli (lvl 27 Scrapper)
Kynxie (lvl 20 controller)
Radealie (lvl 19 defender)
Insecta Sapien (lvl 14 defender)

Villains

Foxie Fatale (lvl 50 Stalker)
Hot Heal (lvl 50 Corruptor)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:42 pm 

Hi guys. You obviously need to roll an energy/enrgy too Mess. :D

Actually I have had great fun with my energy/energy stalker. You have to be careful - which is fun - but soloing on relentless has been easy for ages now and the advantage of an EM stalker is that you really have 3 one-hit kill powers on the trott so I find playing on Relentless to be the easiest option of the lot (except for ordinary villainous) - as you get fewer but higher level mobs numbers. Being a stalker means you can usually single out the most annoying target (like a psy toon) and take them out in one hit first. You can even take on Carnies fairly easily for the same reason.

Teaming with stalkers never as much fun as with a brute though. Then again I like stalkers. Like Blast, I also had a mind/psy dominator and have found solo play (and team play) a blast. With the psy attack you get the fastest attack/recyle power so it's very easy to get Domination up fast. I only stopped playing him when I found out Blast and Mini both have mind/psy dominators and I'd rather have a more unusual combo.

Let me know if you are around PM/Friday for some double-XPing dude (or dudettes).

[b]MrX Heroes: MrX Lvl 50 warshade. | MIND0R Lvl 50 mind/emp troll | The-Messenger Lvl 50 BS/regen scrap | Covert Lvl 42 kin/pys def | .Relic Lvl 42 illu/emp troll | Havoc Lvl 42 kin/elec def | The-Elemental Lvl 39 storm/dark def | Unsung Lvl 38 dark/regen scrap | WRENCH Lvl 34 shield/wrench tank | The Watcher Lvl 15 earth/rad troller | Villains: FR0STBITE Lvl 50 ice/kin corr | Dark-X Lvl 47 dark/stone brute | N'Ice Lvl 42 ice/rad corr | Vortex Lvl 42 robotics/storm MM | ShadowBaby Lvl 41 claws/regen stalk | The Cloak Lvl 41 energy/energy stalk | Thang Lvl 39 robotics/FF MM | IonFist Lvl 34 energy/ninjitsu stalk | The Somnabulist Lvl 33 dark/nec MM | Mr Kripplin Lvl 32 rad/rad corr | M0RBIUS Lvl 20 necro/poison MM | The Infrigidator Lvl 20 ice/cold corr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:31 pm 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

Well I've pretty much settled on the grav/energy dominator for the time being currently held at lvl 6 but propel is such fun :D ill probably lvl her a bit more come Friday during the DXP

Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians

The rest of my Alts

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:37 pm 
Professor

I had a grav/energy Dom some time ago.... she was fun to play, but got played very rarely. She got culled at some point to free up alt space...... she may need to make a re-appearance, now you have me thinking of that build again.

You're an evil man Mess :twisted:

Official Chiefette Translator
----------------------------------
Intrepids
LOx lvl27 Tanker
Synaptic Pulse lvl25 Defender

Legends
Ebon Hawk (Claws/Regen Scrapper)
Girl Fusion (Empathy/Rad Blast Defender)
Zenobia Blade (Broadsword/Shield/Blaze Scrapper)
Pyrokyne (Fire/Kin/Mu Corruptor)
Blaize of Glory (Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster)
Silver Falcon (Tri-form Peacebringer)
Second Sun (Fire/Rad Controller)

Institution
Bitter Blizzard lvl 50 Corruptor
Taze lvl 17 Brute

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:11 pm 

Reminds me Ebo: I have a secret Grav toon whose origin and purpose can not be revealed but creating the Ultimate Grav toon would be a nice project. I've started and dropped at least two other grav toons too. I might open that up as a help topic: the ultimate grav toon.

Hopefully see you Friday evening then - if not before. :wink:

[b]MrX Heroes: MrX Lvl 50 warshade. | MIND0R Lvl 50 mind/emp troll | The-Messenger Lvl 50 BS/regen scrap | Covert Lvl 42 kin/pys def | .Relic Lvl 42 illu/emp troll | Havoc Lvl 42 kin/elec def | The-Elemental Lvl 39 storm/dark def | Unsung Lvl 38 dark/regen scrap | WRENCH Lvl 34 shield/wrench tank | The Watcher Lvl 15 earth/rad troller | Villains: FR0STBITE Lvl 50 ice/kin corr | Dark-X Lvl 47 dark/stone brute | N'Ice Lvl 42 ice/rad corr | Vortex Lvl 42 robotics/storm MM | ShadowBaby Lvl 41 claws/regen stalk | The Cloak Lvl 41 energy/energy stalk | Thang Lvl 39 robotics/FF MM | IonFist Lvl 34 energy/ninjitsu stalk | The Somnabulist Lvl 33 dark/nec MM | Mr Kripplin Lvl 32 rad/rad corr | M0RBIUS Lvl 20 necro/poison MM | The Infrigidator Lvl 20 ice/cold corr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:09 pm 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

Ebon Hawk wrote:
I had a grav/energy Dom some time ago.... she was fun to play, but got played very rarely. She got culled at some point to free up alt space...... she may need to make a re-appearance, now you have me thinking of that build again.

You're an evil man Mess :twisted:

Its my duty to spread alt-itis wherever i can :D

Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians

The rest of my Alts

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!