THE INTREPIDS & THE INSTITUTION WEBPAGE

It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: A PvP Brute
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:23 pm 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

So after my few fights with Lauren and a few scuffles in the PvP zones i got to thinking what would make a good PvP brute.

Some things that are clear is as a brute i need some form of self heal its almost mandatory also good hold and imobalize resistance is essential.

I should also point out that im aiming for a duelist as oposed to team PvPer which mean self reliance is even more key

So looking at seconders first

Elec: seems to be out it may have exilent resistance values but its lack of self heal and effective imob protection makes it a bad choice in my opinion for a all round PvP toon

Dark: at first i did consider this as it has some good all round resistance and even protects aghenst toxic and psy but the lack of good knock back protection and having to run the stealth witch sucks end like its going out of fashion dosent bode well if i face a end sucker

Invul: this looks like a winner good all round resistance with a slant towards smash and leathal a good self heal and good imob protection even has passive resists to protect from some damge if toggles are dropped. on the down side can be bit of a end sucker

Willpower: again looks like a winner much like Invul with less resistnce (based on 1 on 1 aghenst a MM it would fair even better) but more regen

Stone: Not even going to go here having to spend the entire fight in granit just to survive dosent seem wise dose have a nice heal and exilent imob protection tho

Energy: not sure about this one good high defence values but no self heal of course aid self is a option but based purly on the powers in the secondery it looks like it could suffer aghenst anything packing a lot off acc (like every IOed out PvP i've come across)

Fire: a bit like dark but better heal and a nice damage buff (specially if combined with fire) but lacks any form of knock back protection and its imob protection is in burn.

All in all looking at them its either will power or Invul but if any one has any insite please share

Angus(1), Mr Meccano(9), Hard Target(5), Big Zero(18), Anubis(9), Dummy(1)

CoH Globals: @MESS or @TRASH
Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians
Tainted Mess (50) Brute, TRASH (50) Brute, Magmite (50) Brute, Smelt Furnace (50) Brute

The rest of my Alts

Twitter (don't expect me to update it)

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:44 pm 
Site Admin

Mess, I personally think Brute is not the best AT for PvP duels, but since it's your decision I won't go there further...

I wouldn't put Defence aside that quickly mate. Resistance is good against straight damagers like blasters, scrappers etc., but Defence is more valuable against mez attackers.

Resistance means any hold attack will hit you and you'll be detoogled with 3 stacked holds, unless you're a granite.

Energy Aura has a great potential mate. It includes:

1. High Defence, high resistance to Defence debuff as well.
2. Energy Drain, fast recharging auto-hit End drain power, which is super to detoggle ATs like Brutes and Scrapper and change the tide of the battle.
3. Overload: A safe God mode power, at the end of which you only lose Endurance, which you can regain with a single blue inspiration and Energy Drain.
4. Resistance to Repel and TP.

Ok, it doesn't have a heal power but you'll be rarely interrupted when using Healself from Medicine pool.

Finally, I don't know how important this would be for you but Energy Aura also has a suprise aspect in PvP. As you rarely get hit and your HP bar rarely moves your opponent never realises your increasing Fury, and suddenly get killed with 2 hits.

The Intrepids:
Blastor-Level 50 Energy/Fire/Electrical Blaster, Dr. Blast-Level 50 Robotics/Force Field/Mace Mastermind, Holy Blast-Level 50 Peacebringer, Blasting Spines-Level 50 Spines/Regeneration/Body Scrapper, Heatblast-Level 50 Invulnerability/Fiery/Pyre Tanker, Fire Blast-Level 50 Fire/Kinetics/Leviathan Corruptor, Thunder Steel-Level 50 Ninja/Ninjitsu/Mu Stalker, Israfel the Fallen-Level 50 Sonic/Thermal/Dark Corruptor, Blastor Ascended-Level 50 Psychic/Energy/Force Blaster, Fright-Level 50 Kinetic/Dark Armour/Energy Brute, Calibro-Level 50 Dual Pistols/Radiation/Power Corruptor, Nlidia-Level 50 Gravity/Storm/Ice Controller.

The Institution:
Admiral Blast-Level 50 Energy/Energy/Mace Brute, Darkest Blast-Level 50 Mind/Psionic/Leviathan Dominator, Arbiter Blast-Level 50 Crab/Mace Arachnos Soldier, Unmerciful Steel-Level 50 Dual Blades/Willpower/Soul Brute, Mind Blaster-Level 50 Dark Miasma/Psychic/Psychic Defender, Blastor Reborn-Level 50 Ice/Electric/Force Blaster, Superiora-Level 50 Invulnerability/Super Strength/Energy Tanker, Gaia Queen-Level 50 Plant/Empathy/Stone Controller, Shadow Seer-Level 50 Fortunata/Soul Arachnos Widow, Zamana-Level 50 Time/Beam Rifle Defender, Wild Raven-Level 50 Will Power/Street Justice/Energy Tanker, Nlador-Level 50 Titan/Fiery Brute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:29 pm 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

Quote:
Mess, I personally think Brute is not the best AT for PvP duels, but since it's your decision I won't go there further..

Hehe thats kind of the point why do a pvp AT thats all ready popular i wont to explore the idea of a PvPing bruten as no one else seems to (aleast looking at the forums any way)

Good points blast i'm just worried that even with all the deffence that a energy aura brute would have would it be overcome what with the number of PvP toon now sporting IO builds that up there Acc and tohit by a fair bit.

Angus(1), Mr Meccano(9), Hard Target(5), Big Zero(18), Anubis(9), Dummy(1)

CoH Globals: @MESS or @TRASH
Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians
Tainted Mess (50) Brute, TRASH (50) Brute, Magmite (50) Brute, Smelt Furnace (50) Brute

The rest of my Alts

Twitter (don't expect me to update it)

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:05 am 

I like the unusual combinations too Mess. I'm still quite impressed with my Dark/Granite. He seems very very difficult to hurt and once you've built up a bit of fury and stacked Touch of Fear, Shadow Punch and Smite 2-3 times you can afford to come out of Granite and keep pummelling. If you get in danger again you can drop back into Granite for a minute or two. Would work great against all other melee toons but not against that much else. So I suspect that's not going to float your boat.

I also recently started another brute toon with a relatively unusual goal. I'm trying to make The Cloak a super-stunner. NB create a toon designed to lay down a maximum amount of stun effects thereby knocking other toons out before destroying them. The trick I have in mind for this is simply maximising the recharge and stun duration on all the energy melee powers (which is just about all of them of course) but by planning to play with Oppressive Gloom on perm too. I haven't double-checked all the stats but overall it looks like you should just be able to stack all the following twice in a 7.5-10 second attack cycle:

Oppressive Gloom - mag 2 toggle - 7s duration - not sure of refresh rate though
Stun - mag 3, 12s
Total Focus - mag 4, 12s

Total stun mag: 18 (not including any other EM hits)

Any mag over 11 should be enough to knock most other fighters out cold - the only exception (as far as I know) being those tough old Granites.

The Energy/Dark build should fun if not risky but Dark Regeration provides that 50% self-heal ever 12-17 seconds or so, so you should be ok. And for knockback I've made The Cloak a flyer. I haven't checked (or ever used) Oppressive Gloom but I presume the tick rate on the attack must be once every 1-2 seconds so the total mag might be 2 points higher within that 7 second duration and suspect there might be an interesting stun recipe or two we could drop there (and all the other energee melee powers)?

EDIT: I just found out a bit more about Oppressive Gloom from a fairly interesting thread here:

link: http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat ... earch=true

They key bit is the OG doesn't stack but the tick rate seems to be 1 second:

The health cost of Oppressive Gloom is more than made up for by the damage mitigation it offers. It costs around ~3hp/sec per target in range. Taking a minion out of the fight for 3hp when a single swing could take away 100 or more? Well worth it. I think slotted Health could over come the hp drain of OG. Honestly, it doesn't even phase me.

If you slot OG for stun, it will increase the duration (it doesn't self stack). The benefit of doing this is making it less likely you'll miss an enemy and they'll become unstunned. Even with just the base slot, I enjoy OG quite a bit. (I'm Rad Blast, though, so the -defense helps OG hit, so you may want more acc in it.) Slotting for stuns won't change the tick rate, so the hp loss will be the same. Again, it's really negligible for what OG does.

[b]MrX Heroes: MrX Lvl 50 warshade. | MIND0R Lvl 50 mind/emp troll | The-Messenger Lvl 50 BS/regen scrap | Covert Lvl 42 kin/pys def | .Relic Lvl 42 illu/emp troll | Havoc Lvl 42 kin/elec def | The-Elemental Lvl 39 storm/dark def | Unsung Lvl 38 dark/regen scrap | WRENCH Lvl 34 shield/wrench tank | The Watcher Lvl 15 earth/rad troller | Villains: FR0STBITE Lvl 50 ice/kin corr | Dark-X Lvl 47 dark/stone brute | N'Ice Lvl 42 ice/rad corr | Vortex Lvl 42 robotics/storm MM | ShadowBaby Lvl 41 claws/regen stalk | The Cloak Lvl 41 energy/energy stalk | Thang Lvl 39 robotics/FF MM | IonFist Lvl 34 energy/ninjitsu stalk | The Somnabulist Lvl 33 dark/nec MM | Mr Kripplin Lvl 32 rad/rad corr | M0RBIUS Lvl 20 necro/poison MM | The Infrigidator Lvl 20 ice/cold corr