THE INTREPIDS & THE INSTITUTION WEBPAGE

It is currently Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: MrX gets dirty: but needs a hand with his PVP build
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:44 am 

After a 'friendly spar' with the Queen of PVP Control last night. Her name escapes me. Lauren Frost. I'm planning to redo MrX for PVP now. He has some interesting abilities for PVP but hasn't so far bought a single IO/set and needs to cram in Tactics and other changes to take on the likes of Lauren Frost and all comers.

I don't think X will ever be a prime contender but he should have his moments. I need a hand thinking through some of the ideas and especially the IO/sets needed. <- Blast. :)

What I'm weighing up is the Epic set (again) and whether to drop Hasten and take Hover instead. Might sound like a strange swap but this the basic build idea is as follows. I'll come back to Hover in a second. Powers marked X are the ones I'd like some feedback on.

01. > Mesmerize X
01. > Healing Aura
02. > Heal Other
04. > Dominate
06. > Swift
08. > Recall Friend
10. > Confuse
12. > Mass Hypnosis X
14. > Teleport
16. > Telekinesis X
18. > Health
20. > Stamina
22. > Assault
24. > Tactics
26. > Terrify X
28. > Fortitude
30. > Recovery Aura
32. > Hover X
35. > Regeneration Aura
38. > Adrenalin Boost
41. > Indomitable Will X
44. > Mind Over Body X
47. > Mental Blast X
49. > Clear Mind

Overall, and especially compared to my PVE build and spar session with Lauren Frost I'm planning to:

a. Keep up the mobility (using Teleport and Hover together)
b. Shake off toggle debuffs such as Snow Storm and Radiation Infection (by teleporting out of range, when possible)
c. Add Indomitable Will (a 90 second mag 10 mez status protection against holds, stuns, fear, sleep and confuse)
d. Make better use of my Sleep, Hold and Fear attacks.

On the last point I hardly used these at all last night and once I was through my break frees it was only to easy to hold me. All my principle attack powers are currently set for damage instead of control so Mesmerize, for example, had only one recharge and no sleep duration. Same with Dominate (which I didn't use once last night, hehe. It wasn't in the tray).

Equally I was very happy how well Telekinesis and Confuse worked last night so I plan to slot them up more. I fugure that having a Hold/Repel toggle should be almost as annoying Snow Storm as I should be able to spam Dominate (a hold power) on top of Telekinesis' toggle hold but the principle attack chain I think I'll use will be based around Mesmerize (a sleep power with good psi damage) and Mass Hypnosis.

Got some specific concerns/questions on this though:

As mentioned above my game plan would be use Teleport and Hover for mobility, sleep as my main attack/control power (I believe Sleep is a PVP detoggler too - isn't it?) and alternative fear (through Terrify) and hold (through Telekinesis and Dominate) when suppression kicks in.

I'm favouring sleep/Mesmerize over other attack powers as it has, so far as I can tell, both the best recharge/duration ratio out of all the control primaries - being a 6 second recharge/30 second duration power. So it should stack five times (mag 3.5 x 5 = mag 17.5 total) without any enhancements at all. I aslo presume Sleep will also knock-out blasters and prevent them attacking too? That was one of my queries.

My second big query is over the use of Teleport/Hover and Snow Storm/Radiation Infection range:

The nominal range of Snow Storm is 80 feet so my plan might be, map permitting, to simply one-click out of range and out of sight (if I can place stealth IOs on both Hover and Teleport?) But how far out of range do you have to be to drop Snow Storm/Rad Infection?

An example being Lauren Frost last night. She can hide behind stealth, steamy mist (and anything else Lauren?) and attack first through Snow Storm. MrX didn't have Tactics last night so he was at a double disadvantage. Snow Storm, it should be noted, is not only the most annoying auto-hitting debuffer out there it also recharges in 10 seconds! Telekinesis also used to have a 10 second recharge but they changed it "for PVP" so that it now has a 60 second recharge! Snow Storm should definitely be changed now. It should either be a click-power with a fair recharge or be a toggle with a long recharge.

The third question is over the Epic sets. I've played with the Ice Epic (and like it a lot, Hibernate is great but leaves you as a sitting duck afterwards), I've been using Primal Forces (for the extra endurance and Power Boost) but the later doesn't seem to suit PVP so much. And the problem for me against Lauren/any troller is that once you're out of Break Frees you're a sitting duck again. I didn't play very well last night (didn't use my own control powers enough) so the rest of the 'match' was fairly pointless when they were gone. Indomitable Will (from the Psionic Epic set) will at least give me 90 seconds of relative protection while I build up my own holds in return. And so I'm leaning towards Psionic Mastery. Mental Blast will give me another good, long range psi attack (and -recharge).

So my planned PVP build, subject to any good ideas/feedback might be:

01. > Mesmerize==> Acc(1) Acc(3) Dmg(5) Dmg(9) Rechg(13) Rechg(13)
01. > Healing Aura==> Heal(1) Heal(3) Heal(7) Rechg(17) Rechg(17)
02. > Heal Other==> Heal(2) Heal(11) Heal(29) Rechg(34) Rechg(37)
04. > Dominate==> Acc(4) Acc(5) Dmg(7) Dmg(9) Rechg(15) Rechg(19)
06. > Swift==> Run(6)
08. > Recall Friend==> Rechg(8 )
10. > Confuse==> Acc(10) Acc(11) ConfDur(25) ConfDur(33) Rechg(39) Range(40)
12. > Mass Hypnosis==> Acc(12) Acc(15) Sleep(19) Sleep(21) Rechg(23) Rechg(25)
14. > Teleport==> Range(14)
16. > Telekinesis==> EndRdx(16) EndRdx(27) EndRdx(27) Rechg(33) Rechg(39)
18. > Health==> Heal(18 ) Heal(34) Heal(37)
20. > Stamina==> EndMod(20) EndMod(21) EndMod(23)
22. > Assault==> EndRdx(22)
24. > Tactics==> EndRdx(24) EndRdx(33)
26. > Terrify==> Acc(26) Acc(31) Acc(42) Fear(42) Rechg(43) Rechg(43)
28. > Fortitude==> DefBuf(28 ) DefBuf(29) Rechg(39)
30. > Recovery Aura==> Rechg(30) Rechg(31) Rechg(31) EndMod(34) EndMod(36)
32. > Hover==> EndRdx(32) EndRdx(45)
35. > Regeneration Aura==> Rechg(35) Rechg(36) Rechg(36) Heal(37) Heal(46)
38. > Adrenalin Boost==> Rechg(38 ) Rechg(40) Heal(40) Heal(45)
41. > Indomitable Will==> Rechg(41) Rechg(42) Rechg(43)
44. > Mind Over Body==> DmgRes(44) DmgRes(45) DmgRes(46) EndRdx(46) EndRdx(50)
47. > Mental Blast==> Acc(47) Acc(48 ) Dmg(48 ) Dmg(48 ) Rechg(50) Rechg(50)
49. > Clear Mind==> Rechg(49)

Blast, old buddy, I would certainly like to test this build with you (on Test?) and talk it through with a view to what interesting IO/sets I could begin to slot in here?

[b]MrX Heroes: MrX Lvl 50 warshade. | MIND0R Lvl 50 mind/emp troll | The-Messenger Lvl 50 BS/regen scrap | Covert Lvl 42 kin/pys def | .Relic Lvl 42 illu/emp troll | Havoc Lvl 42 kin/elec def | The-Elemental Lvl 39 storm/dark def | Unsung Lvl 38 dark/regen scrap | WRENCH Lvl 34 shield/wrench tank | The Watcher Lvl 15 earth/rad troller | Villains: FR0STBITE Lvl 50 ice/kin corr | Dark-X Lvl 47 dark/stone brute | N'Ice Lvl 42 ice/rad corr | Vortex Lvl 42 robotics/storm MM | ShadowBaby Lvl 41 claws/regen stalk | The Cloak Lvl 41 energy/energy stalk | Thang Lvl 39 robotics/FF MM | IonFist Lvl 34 energy/ninjitsu stalk | The Somnabulist Lvl 33 dark/nec MM | Mr Kripplin Lvl 32 rad/rad corr | M0RBIUS Lvl 20 necro/poison MM | The Infrigidator Lvl 20 ice/cold corr

Last edited by MrX on Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:11 pm 
Site Admin

Looked at your current powers and you already have a good PvP build mate. All I can say, instead of increasing the variety of mez attacks, like sleep, terrify, hold, fear; focus on one type and maximise the effect of those powers. Consider getting Concealment Pool, not for Stealth but for Invisibility and Phase Shift, you're a empath, you can easily refresh your HP and END when phased and repeat this when necessary. With one stealth IO (you can have one Stealth IO on a build, so cant have one on Hover and one on TP) and Invisibility you'll be invisible to those without Tactics, Aim, BU or accuracy insps...

Are you gonna design you build for specific ATs or will it be an allround build? For instance Mass Confusion might be an amazing power against MM pets and so on...

Sorry, very busy atm and gtg for a meeting, I'll write you more later today. Above is just to give you some ideas. I'll definitively come back to you for the IO build.

The Intrepids:
Blastor-Level 50 Energy/Fire/Electrical Blaster, Dr. Blast-Level 50 Robotics/Force Field/Mace Mastermind, Holy Blast-Level 50 Peacebringer, Blasting Spines-Level 50 Spines/Regeneration/Body Scrapper, Heatblast-Level 50 Invulnerability/Fiery/Pyre Tanker, Fire Blast-Level 50 Fire/Kinetics/Leviathan Corruptor, Thunder Steel-Level 50 Ninja/Ninjitsu/Mu Stalker, Israfel the Fallen-Level 50 Sonic/Thermal/Dark Corruptor, Blastor Ascended-Level 50 Psychic/Energy/Force Blaster, Fright-Level 50 Kinetic/Dark Armour/Energy Brute, Calibro-Level 50 Dual Pistols/Radiation/Power Corruptor, Nlidia-Level 50 Gravity/Storm/Ice Controller.

The Institution:
Admiral Blast-Level 50 Energy/Energy/Mace Brute, Darkest Blast-Level 50 Mind/Psionic/Leviathan Dominator, Arbiter Blast-Level 50 Crab/Mace Arachnos Soldier, Unmerciful Steel-Level 50 Dual Blades/Willpower/Soul Brute, Mind Blaster-Level 50 Dark Miasma/Psychic/Psychic Defender, Blastor Reborn-Level 50 Ice/Electric/Force Blaster, Superiora-Level 50 Invulnerability/Super Strength/Energy Tanker, Gaia Queen-Level 50 Plant/Empathy/Stone Controller, Shadow Seer-Level 50 Fortunata/Soul Arachnos Widow, Zamana-Level 50 Time/Beam Rifle Defender, Wild Raven-Level 50 Will Power/Street Justice/Energy Tanker, Nlador-Level 50 Titan/Fiery Brute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:16 pm 

Many thanks and np mate. I'll catch up anytime you're on. I think I'll go ahead and set-up several versions of X on the test server ready for a bash. I'm really interested in seeing what happens in a concerted Sleep attack but catch you later mate.

X

[b]MrX Heroes: MrX Lvl 50 warshade. | MIND0R Lvl 50 mind/emp troll | The-Messenger Lvl 50 BS/regen scrap | Covert Lvl 42 kin/pys def | .Relic Lvl 42 illu/emp troll | Havoc Lvl 42 kin/elec def | The-Elemental Lvl 39 storm/dark def | Unsung Lvl 38 dark/regen scrap | WRENCH Lvl 34 shield/wrench tank | The Watcher Lvl 15 earth/rad troller | Villains: FR0STBITE Lvl 50 ice/kin corr | Dark-X Lvl 47 dark/stone brute | N'Ice Lvl 42 ice/rad corr | Vortex Lvl 42 robotics/storm MM | ShadowBaby Lvl 41 claws/regen stalk | The Cloak Lvl 41 energy/energy stalk | Thang Lvl 39 robotics/FF MM | IonFist Lvl 34 energy/ninjitsu stalk | The Somnabulist Lvl 33 dark/nec MM | Mr Kripplin Lvl 32 rad/rad corr | M0RBIUS Lvl 20 necro/poison MM | The Infrigidator Lvl 20 ice/cold corr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:06 pm 

Hi blast. Many thanks for your hand* with this last night. I've decided to not throw the towel in so quickly. After all you couldn't beat me before all your IO/sets so I should be able to rgain parity if I do go that root. More importantly I've realised that I do need Hasten in the build and I've got a few ideas about beefing up damage too (see below) but I'll transfer two new builds to test for next time we get a breather mate.

*Well for showing me what all the PVP zone floors look like close-up! :)

New build 1 (dropping hover, mass hypnosis and heal other, adding SS/Hasten and Ice Mastery set)
01.> Mesmerize==> Acc(1) Acc(3) Sleep(5) Sleep(9) Sleep(13) Rechg(13) X
01.> Healing Aura==> Heal(1) Heal(3) Heal(7) Rechg(17) Rechg(17) Rechg(23)
02.> Levitate==> Acc(2) Acc(11) Dmg(15) Dmg(15) Dmg(25) Rechg(25) X
04.> Dominate==> Acc(4) Acc(5) Dmg(7) Dmg(19) Dmg(19) Rechg(21) X
06.> Sprint==> Jump(6)
08 .> Hasten==> Rechg(8 ) Rechg(9) Rechg(11) X
10.> Recall Friend==> Rechg(10)
12.> Assault==> EndRdx(12)
14.> Teleport==> Range(14)
16.> Telekinesis==> EndRdx(16) EndRdx(27) EndRdx(29) Rechg(39)
18 .> Health==> Heal(18 ) Heal(34) Heal(37)
20.> Stamina==> EndMod(20) EndMod(21) EndMod(23)
22.> Super Speed==> EndRdx(22) X
24.> Confuse==> Acc(24) Acc(27) ConfDur(33) Rechg(33) Range(34) X
26.> Terrify==> Acc(26) Acc(31) Fear(40) Fear(43) Fear(46) Rechg(46) X
28 .> Fortitude==> Rechg(28 ) DefBuf(29) TH_Buf(33)
30.> Recovery Aura==> Rechg(30) Rechg(31) Rechg(31) EndMod(34) EndMod(36)
32.> Tactics==> EndRdx(32) EndRdx(37) EndRdx(39)
35.> Regeneration Aura==> Rechg(35) Rechg(36) Rechg(36) Heal(37) Heal(40)
38 .> Adrenalin Boost==> Rechg(38 ) Rechg(39) Heal(40)
41.> Ice Blast==> Acc(41) Acc(42) Dmg(42) Dmg(42) Dmg(43) Rechg(43) X
44.> Hibernate==> Rechg(44) Rechg(45) Rechg(45) EndMod(45) EndMod(46) X
47.> Ice Storm==> Dmg(47) Dmg(48 ) Dmg(48 ) Rechg(48 ) Rechg(50) Range(50) X
49.> Frozen Armor==> DefBuf(49) DefBuf(50) X

New build 2 (dropping hover, mass hypnosis and heal other, adding SS/Hasten and primal forces set)
01.> Mesmerize==> Acc(1) Acc(3) Sleep(5) Sleep(9) Sleep(13) Rechg(13)
01.> Healing Aura==> Heal(1) Heal(3) Heal(7) Rechg(17) Rechg(17) Rechg(23)
02.> Levitate==> Acc(2) Acc(11) Dmg(15) Dmg(15) Dmg(25) Rechg(25)
04.> Dominate==> Acc(4) Acc(5) Dmg(7) Dmg(19) Dmg(19) Rechg(21)
06.> Hurdle==> Jump(6)
08.> Hasten==> Rechg(8 ) Rechg(9) Rechg(11)
10.> Recall Friend==> Rechg(10)
12.> Assault==> EndRdx(12)
14.> Teleport==> Range(14)
16.> Telekinesis==> EndRdx(16) EndRdx(27) EndRdx(29) Rechg(39) Rechg(50)
18.> Health==> Heal(18 ) Heal(34) Heal(37)
20.> Stamina==> EndMod(20) EndMod(21) EndMod(23)
22.> Super Speed==> EndRdx(22)
24.> Confuse==> Acc(24) Acc(27) ConfDur(33) Rechg(33) Range(34)
26.> Terrify==> Acc(26) Acc(31) Fear(40) Fear(43) Fear(46) Rechg(46)
28.> Fortitude==> Rechg(28 ) DefBuf(29) TH_Buf(33)
30.> Recovery Aura==> Rechg(30) Rechg(31) Rechg(31) EndMod(34) EndMod(36) EndMod(45)
32.> Tactics==> EndRdx(32) EndRdx(37) EndRdx(39)
35.> Regeneration Aura==> Rechg(35) Rechg(36) Rechg(36) Heal(37) Heal(40)
38.> Adrenalin Boost==> Rechg(38 ) Rechg(39) Heal(40)
41.> Power Blast==> Acc(41) Acc(42) Dmg(42) Dmg(42) Dmg(43) Rechg(43) X
44.> Temp Invulnerability==> DmgRes(44) DmgRes(45) DmgRes(45) EndRdx(46) EndRdx(48 ) X
47.> Power Boost==> Rechg(47) Rechg(48 ) Rechg(48 ) X
49.> Conserve Power==> Rechg(49) Rechg(50) Rechg(50) X

X = new/changed power/spec.

I'm going to test another dropping leadership and adding back hover + one other. Whichever way I look at it I don't want to take SJ it's just not X and I've tested it before. I way prefer the versality of hover/teleport - if I can just cram it in somewhere. I also want to test Mesmerize with extra sleep time and Terrify with extra fear duration too. It had none in it yesterday.

Thanks again for your help Blast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

Hey X,

I was an easy target for you when I had no hold powers at all in the build. We faced each other at the arena on the test server after I included Shocking Bolt from Electric Epic into my build and the match finished with a draw.

Here's the thread of that match...

I don't shy away from admitting defeats, infact, I just wrote about 5 defeats from Lauren a few days ago :)...

Now before going through alternative builds you mentioned above, I'd like to remind you about few things. The reason why you couldn't beat me yesterday was mainly because I had a Set IO build and you didn't, you're right there, but it is also because of the new Blaster Defiance, which allows me to fight with powers upto Level2 even when held. Plus, you might perma hold me and be outside of my attack range but you also noticed that you didn't have enough damage to beat my regen rate gained by Set Bonuses. Say you managed to improve your damage, you do not have enough END and Recovery to keep it going. What I try to explain here mate is that you definitively need a Set IO build. And if you have only one shot to create a Set IO build, due to your limited game time, I recommend that you use it for another toon (Covert, Havoc, The Elemental etc.).

However, if you still wanna develop Mr.X, then I'll design a Set IO build for you. I know that a Set IO build is very expensive and time consuming but on the other hand, using single aspect lvl50 IOs instead of SOs would hardly make a difference. For instance using 3 damage SOs provides 95% buff while 3 single aspect lvl50 damage IO provides 98% buff because of ED. Maybe we can meet somewhere in between by using Hami-Os. For instance Damage/Range Hamis are extremely cheap, by using these you might gain a strategical advantage and perform attacks outside of most ranges ATs. There are other Hamis like Acc/Mez Duration, Acc/Dam, Dam/Mez, but I'm not sure about their price...

As for Mobility, Hover&TP is a great travel combo, and might work very well in open PvP zones or arena map (singular here as there's only one arena map like this :)). In indoor areas, I find it very difficult to control, slow to respond to enemy attacks. That's why I think your main travel power should either be SS or SJ, TP should be your secondary power to be used only when necessary (either to come closer to opponents like Lauren, who can virtually stop your mobility, or to escape from danger), and you won't need Hover there.

And as for powers, consider getting Concealment pool, as I mentioned yesterday. You'll be undetected with one Stealth IO + Invisibility to those without +perception powers, and moreover Phase Shift will allow you to have a break and recharge your HP & END bars in almost every 1 min (it's 66seconds with 3 Recharge IOs and Hasten). And since Fitness, TP, and another Travel pool (Fly or SS) are essential in your build, you might drop Leadership for it, that's your call mate.

As for Epic pool selection, that's a tough one :). With fully completed Set IO build, END & Recovery shouldn't be a problem, in such case I'd eliminate Primal Forces. To be able to have an advantage against ATs with mez powers like other controllers, defenders, blasters and their counterparts in CoV I'd go with Psychic Mastery for Indomitable Will. Or have another escape button like Hibernate in Ice Mastery, or Stone Mastery where you get the best damage (Hurl Boulder) and controller type of Dull Pain (Earth's Embrace) with 15secs recharge/duration loop, but it's so not Mr.X :).

In summary, with a non-Set IO build, without END you cannot fight so I'd personnaly go with Primal Forces, and with enough END&Recovery from a Set IO build I'd go with either Psy or Ice epics...

The Intrepids:
Blastor-Level 50 Energy/Fire/Electrical Blaster, Dr. Blast-Level 50 Robotics/Force Field/Mace Mastermind, Holy Blast-Level 50 Peacebringer, Blasting Spines-Level 50 Spines/Regeneration/Body Scrapper, Heatblast-Level 50 Invulnerability/Fiery/Pyre Tanker, Fire Blast-Level 50 Fire/Kinetics/Leviathan Corruptor, Thunder Steel-Level 50 Ninja/Ninjitsu/Mu Stalker, Israfel the Fallen-Level 50 Sonic/Thermal/Dark Corruptor, Blastor Ascended-Level 50 Psychic/Energy/Force Blaster, Fright-Level 50 Kinetic/Dark Armour/Energy Brute, Calibro-Level 50 Dual Pistols/Radiation/Power Corruptor, Nlidia-Level 50 Gravity/Storm/Ice Controller.

The Institution:
Admiral Blast-Level 50 Energy/Energy/Mace Brute, Darkest Blast-Level 50 Mind/Psionic/Leviathan Dominator, Arbiter Blast-Level 50 Crab/Mace Arachnos Soldier, Unmerciful Steel-Level 50 Dual Blades/Willpower/Soul Brute, Mind Blaster-Level 50 Dark Miasma/Psychic/Psychic Defender, Blastor Reborn-Level 50 Ice/Electric/Force Blaster, Superiora-Level 50 Invulnerability/Super Strength/Energy Tanker, Gaia Queen-Level 50 Plant/Empathy/Stone Controller, Shadow Seer-Level 50 Fortunata/Soul Arachnos Widow, Zamana-Level 50 Time/Beam Rifle Defender, Wild Raven-Level 50 Will Power/Street Justice/Energy Tanker, Nlador-Level 50 Titan/Fiery Brute.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:15 pm 

Many thanks mate. All appreciated. Perhaps we could also set up some test spars with N'Ice and IceDrain to get an early marker on those guys too Blast. Hopefully see you later although I may not be able to make it until later or at all tonight. But I'll catch you soon matey.