THE INTREPIDS & THE INSTITUTION WEBPAGE

It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Shield Brute
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:48 am 

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! ](*,) ](*,)

That’s basically what I felt like when I was playing Chontal last night (my Mace/Shield brute).
http://wiki.cohtitan.com/wiki/Shields#Phalanx_Fighting
She’s so weak. Fighting white and yellows my health was dropping faster than a lead balloon and if Blastor wasn’t drip feeding me Respites I would have spent a good part of the evening licking the floor (with my levelling pact partner standing over me and growling) 8-[
It has become very frustrating and not very enjoyable.

So what’s wrong?

I’ve got the main armour powers and they are fully IO’d. Sadly I can’t show you the build as I am at work.

So here’s what I am thinking.
We discussed slotting Deflection a different way last night. Currently it is slotted (with IO’s - I put that in again for Blastor as he keeps asking me lol) 2 x Res, 2 x Def and 2 x EndRedx.

I could change this to 3 x Res and 3 x Def
or 3 x Res, 2 x Def and 1 x EndRedx.
or 2 x Res, 3 x Def and 1 x EndRedx
I’d like to try the first option and pray my Endurance copes. [-o<

Also, I am going to respec. I have not taken Phalanx Fighting and I want to try adding that along with taking the Fighting Power Pool to gain ‘Tough’.

I am going to look at some Recipe sets today to try increasing Health, Regeneration rate and possibly buff my resistances.

After that I’ll see what happens. :wink:

Post subject: Re: Shield Brute
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:42 am 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

what were you faceing at the time you ended up kissing floor betty longbow do a particularly nasty combo of defence and resistance debuffing and if theres a officer there he'll be boosting there acc and to-hit (they run tatics) end result bad if your reliant on defence.

Angus(1), Mr Meccano(9), Hard Target(5), Big Zero(18), Anubis(9), Dummy(1)

CoH Globals: @MESS or @TRASH
Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians
Tainted Mess (50) Brute, TRASH (50) Brute, Magmite (50) Brute, Smelt Furnace (50) Brute

The rest of my Alts

Twitter (don't expect me to update it)

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:32 am 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

threw a a build togeather i wasent sure what travel power you had so picked SJ largly because it gives acsses to combat jumping with grants more defence i've slotted it with lvl 35 IOs as 35 IOs are what i tend to aim for as being the minimum slotted in my powers.

Villain Plan by Mids' Villain Designer 1.401
http://www.cohplanner.com/

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 37 Magic Brute
Primary Power Set: War Mace
Secondary Power Set: Shield Defense
Power Pool: Fitness
Power Pool: Leaping

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Pulverize -- Acc-I(A), EndRdx-I(23)
Level 1: Deflection -- DefBuff-I(A), DefBuff-I(3), DefBuff-I(3), ResDam-I(5), ResDam-I(5), ResDam-I(7)
Level 2: Battle Agility -- EndRdx-I(A), DefBuff-I(13), DefBuff-I(13), DefBuff-I(15)
Level 4: True Grit -- ResDam-I(A), ResDam-I(7), ResDam-I(9), Heal-I(9), Heal-I(11), Heal-I(11)
Level 6: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 8: Combat Jumping -- DefBuff-I(A), DefBuff-I(25), DefBuff-I(25)
Level 10: Active Defense -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(17)
Level 12: Clobber -- Acc-I(A), Acc-I(19), EndRdx-I(19), EndRdx-I(27)
Level 14: Health -- Heal-I(A), Heal-I(15), Heal-I(17)
Level 16: Against All Odds -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 18: Super Jump -- Jump-I(A)
Level 20: Phalanx Fighting -- DefBuff-I(A), DefBuff-I(21), DefBuff-I(21)
Level 22: Whirling Mace -- Acc-I(A), Acc-I(23), EndRdx-I(33)
Level 24: Jawbreaker -- Acc-I(A), Acc-I(33), EndRdx-I(34)
Level 26: Shatter -- Acc-I(A), Acc-I(27), EndRdx-I(29), EndRdx-I(31)
Level 28: Grant Cover -- EndRdx-I(A), DefBuff-I(29)
Level 30: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A), EndMod-I(31), EndMod-I(31)
Level 32: Crowd Control -- Acc-I(A), Acc-I(33), EndRdx-I(34), EndRdx-I(34)
Level 35: Shield Charge -- Acc-I(A)
Level 38: [Empty] -- Empty(A)
Level 41: [Empty]
Level 44: [Empty]
Level 47: [Empty]
Level 49: [Empty]
------------
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Fury

You'll notoice there are no damage enhncers slotted this is largle because as a brute you'll see far more benifit from reduced end ussage and increased acc than you will out of raw damage.

as the build stands your looking at 27.9 defence to all positions with one team mate neer you (thats blast job :P and get another 3 buddies in range and your looking at 35% defece*) as well as 17.7 resistance to all damage types bar Psi wich dosent sound like a lot but as the resistance is basically a secondery line of defence only having to resist those attacks that get thrue your defence it should be fine

finaly you have 119.7 persent HP so 19.7 more than normal for your lvl and a regen rate of 179% which should help a fair bit in clawing back HP that you loose.

looking to the futire its possible to pretty much soft cap your positional defence with the correct IO slotting its not cheep but can be achived pretty easily and you dont loose to much offecive capibilites.

*Im not sure but a i belive pets count as alies for the purposes of phalanex fighting if this is the case this means MM are your freind also when/if blast takes his pets they should boost it as well

Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians
Tainted Mess (50) Brute, TRASH (50) Brute, Magmite (50) Brute, Smelt Furnace (50) Brute

The rest of my Alts

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:22 am 

Thanks Mess. I’m not taking a travel power. I have used Temps so far and will gain the Temp from Grandville day job to keep me going until I feel it necessary to actually take one (if ever)

I have slotted end reductions in the toggle shield powers and you have hardly put any in. I have suffered with really bad endurance throughout on my build even after stamina. I have slotted the heavy endurance using attacks with 2 x endrdx already but I may try some different slotting as you suggest in the other attacks.
Maybe i can find some recipes to help buff endurance recovery too.

We were fighting Longbow last night (I blame Blastor :wink: ) and I agree they are tough on Brutes, but I still felt weedy especially when Mr X joined us with his level 32 brute and started wading through them without getting dented! :|

I'm feeling a bit more confident that I can overcome the weedyness now :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:03 pm 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

Hehe you've clearly hit the squishy point in your brutes life from experience it seems most brutes go thrue a stage of being squishy for some like SR and energy aura this happens early on when there defence lvls are low for others like elec it happens later when there high resistance valuse face are debuffed or they hit the lvl range of a enimy that can exploit there weekness.

even if your not having a travel power i would recoment takeing combat jumping just for that extra defence its not a lot but as you allready have relativly high defence figures it will beniffit you.

some franking slotting may be the way to go to boost a few aspecs of powers.

Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians

The rest of my Alts

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:13 pm 

Mess wrote:
even if your not having a travel power i would recoment takeing combat jumping just for that extra defence its not a lot but as you allready have relativly high defence figures it will beniffit you.

some franking slotting may be the way to go to boost a few aspecs of powers.

I am still thinking of taking 'Tough' and i think that would give me more than Combat Jumping.

I always Franken slot where i find cheap enough Set IO's to use :wink: Trouble is they are going up and up! :o

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:22 pm 
Site Admin

"Tough" alone will not be enough in my opinion Betty. As far as I can see Shield Defence is half resistance and half defence based set. "Weave" will also improve your defence greatly, I'd try to fit it into my build if I were you.

I also remember having hard times with my energy brute until I got Overload, after that everything was easier. Besides, your godmode power "One With the Shield" has a fairly shorter fixed recharge time of 360 seconds compared with Overload, Elude, Power Surge and Unstoppable (base recharge of 1000 seconds). Even with my full purple set build my brute's Overload has 425 seconds of recharge.

I'd also get a few defence inspirations, which would be more useful that greens in many cases. You get those from me anyway :)...

Don't worry your toon will get better as it's developed (we're level 35 now btw :)). It has to because we'll have many Longbow missions to come :)...

The Intrepids:
Blastor-Level 50 Energy/Fire/Electrical Blaster, Dr. Blast-Level 50 Robotics/Force Field/Mace Mastermind, Holy Blast-Level 50 Peacebringer, Blasting Spines-Level 50 Spines/Regeneration/Body Scrapper, Heatblast-Level 50 Invulnerability/Fiery/Pyre Tanker, Fire Blast-Level 50 Fire/Kinetics/Leviathan Corruptor, Thunder Steel-Level 50 Ninja/Ninjitsu/Mu Stalker, Israfel the Fallen-Level 50 Sonic/Thermal/Dark Corruptor, Blastor Ascended-Level 50 Psychic/Energy/Force Blaster, Fright-Level 50 Kinetic/Dark Armour/Energy Brute, Calibro-Level 50 Dual Pistols/Radiation/Power Corruptor, Nlidia-Level 50 Gravity/Storm/Ice Controller.

The Institution:
Admiral Blast-Level 50 Energy/Energy/Mace Brute, Darkest Blast-Level 50 Mind/Psionic/Leviathan Dominator, Arbiter Blast-Level 50 Crab/Mace Arachnos Soldier, Unmerciful Steel-Level 50 Dual Blades/Willpower/Soul Brute, Mind Blaster-Level 50 Dark Miasma/Psychic/Psychic Defender, Blastor Reborn-Level 50 Ice/Electric/Force Blaster, Superiora-Level 50 Invulnerability/Super Strength/Energy Tanker, Gaia Queen-Level 50 Plant/Empathy/Stone Controller, Shadow Seer-Level 50 Fortunata/Soul Arachnos Widow, Zamana-Level 50 Time/Beam Rifle Defender, Wild Raven-Level 50 Will Power/Street Justice/Energy Tanker, Nlador-Level 50 Titan/Fiery Brute.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:01 pm 

Hiya Betty
Betty wrote:
but I still felt weedy especially when Mr X joined us with his level 32 brute and started wading through them

I must admit I did feel good last night and I almost impressed myself how 'strong' I felt but to confess something ...

... that I love that toon (dark melee/energy aura brute, DEADEND) ... but he has two self-heals and two end drains to I travel very lightly on green and blue inspirations and stack my bag with purples! I'd just joined that mission with you after stacking up too - but once I start running out of purples it gets much harder.

I have a shield/war mace tank though (WRENCH, now level 34) and he seems uber-tough again - I don't even bother with One with the Shield. I rely on picking up and recyling purples for the extra defence. I also run Combat Jumping on him (and DEADEND). I don't think I either build would benfit from Tough/Weave too much. Not really room on my brute and too end-expensive on my tank who is also heavily spec'd for damage.

The other 'trick' - which is not a trick but based on experience with my three (!) other dark melee toons is that I don't bother with Shadow Maul (it's too slow and actually losses fury) and I slot Siphon Life for damage (2 slots) and recharge (2 slots) to that's a 10% self-heal hitting every 4.2-6 seconds. It really makes a difference, does good damage and, of course, debuffs accuracy by 5.6% for 13+ seconds every time it hits ... so your net defense is effectively getting better all the time. I suspect you may also have been attracting more of the aggro leaving me to kill my own targets. :)

At the moment, I'm a big fan of defence + dark attack based toons (and I'm loving my new rad/dark blast defender for the same reason) but the main tip is make sure you pack and recycle purples! And join a fight full of them to show-off before falling flat on your face in the next mission! :)

[b]MrX Heroes: MrX Lvl 50 warshade. | MIND0R Lvl 50 mind/emp troll | The-Messenger Lvl 50 BS/regen scrap | Covert Lvl 42 kin/pys def | .Relic Lvl 42 illu/emp troll | Havoc Lvl 42 kin/elec def | The-Elemental Lvl 39 storm/dark def | Unsung Lvl 38 dark/regen scrap | WRENCH Lvl 34 shield/wrench tank | The Watcher Lvl 15 earth/rad troller | Villains: FR0STBITE Lvl 50 ice/kin corr | Dark-X Lvl 47 dark/stone brute | N'Ice Lvl 42 ice/rad corr | Vortex Lvl 42 robotics/storm MM | ShadowBaby Lvl 41 claws/regen stalk | The Cloak Lvl 41 energy/energy stalk | Thang Lvl 39 robotics/FF MM | IonFist Lvl 34 energy/ninjitsu stalk | The Somnabulist Lvl 33 dark/nec MM | Mr Kripplin Lvl 32 rad/rad corr | M0RBIUS Lvl 20 necro/poison MM | The Infrigidator Lvl 20 ice/cold corr

Last edited by MrX on Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:21 pm 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

the problem with tough and weave are there both end hungry on top of a end hungry combo like mace/sheild its probably gona cause more harm than good. even on my fire/ston which is pretty end use light i only run them aghenst high ranking oponents.

Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians

The rest of my Alts

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:11 pm 

Hmm yeah good point Mess. More endurance draining. :?

Well now that we are 35 i have another power slot :mrgreen: Thanks Blastor =D>

But.....i don't have much time to play at the moment. Family are visiting and they do not leave until Sunday :? So i will not be online much ..if at all. Sorrry :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:07 am 
Site Admin

Correction, 36 :)

The Intrepids:
Blastor-Level 50 Energy/Fire/Electrical Blaster, Dr. Blast-Level 50 Robotics/Force Field/Mace Mastermind, Holy Blast-Level 50 Peacebringer, Blasting Spines-Level 50 Spines/Regeneration/Body Scrapper, Heatblast-Level 50 Invulnerability/Fiery/Pyre Tanker, Fire Blast-Level 50 Fire/Kinetics/Leviathan Corruptor, Thunder Steel-Level 50 Ninja/Ninjitsu/Mu Stalker, Israfel the Fallen-Level 50 Sonic/Thermal/Dark Corruptor, Blastor Ascended-Level 50 Psychic/Energy/Force Blaster, Fright-Level 50 Kinetic/Dark Armour/Energy Brute, Calibro-Level 50 Dual Pistols/Radiation/Power Corruptor, Nlidia-Level 50 Gravity/Storm/Ice Controller.

The Institution:
Admiral Blast-Level 50 Energy/Energy/Mace Brute, Darkest Blast-Level 50 Mind/Psionic/Leviathan Dominator, Arbiter Blast-Level 50 Crab/Mace Arachnos Soldier, Unmerciful Steel-Level 50 Dual Blades/Willpower/Soul Brute, Mind Blaster-Level 50 Dark Miasma/Psychic/Psychic Defender, Blastor Reborn-Level 50 Ice/Electric/Force Blaster, Superiora-Level 50 Invulnerability/Super Strength/Energy Tanker, Gaia Queen-Level 50 Plant/Empathy/Stone Controller, Shadow Seer-Level 50 Fortunata/Soul Arachnos Widow, Zamana-Level 50 Time/Beam Rifle Defender, Wild Raven-Level 50 Will Power/Street Justice/Energy Tanker, Nlador-Level 50 Titan/Fiery Brute.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:15 am 

[smilie=bighug.gif]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:07 am 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

I would definitely get Phalanx Fighting for the extra defence that it'll bring you and now that you're 36 you can pick up shield charge I've not tried it personally but having see it in action it works pretty much the same as lightning rod meaning its a great alpha mitigator you can shield charge in and hopefully knock a good few of them down and then unleash you AoE powers (crowd control, whirling mace, and shatter and finish anything left standing with clobber and jawbreaker)

Also once you work out what IOs your after post up a list and ill keep a eye out as so far I've quite a few Io recipes.

Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians

The rest of my Alts

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:23 am 

Mess wrote:
I would definitely get Phalanx Fighting for the extra defence that it'll bring you

Wasn't Phalanx fighting that lame power that only gives your teammates extra defence but NOT yourself?

AP

CoV (lvl 50): Mistress of Souls (Mastermind), Mistress of Roses (Dominator), Rising Nova (Corruptor), Annie last Words (Stalker), Sister Silk (Fortunata), Sister Inquisitor (Widow), Metal Mynx (Brute), Static Shutdown (brute)

DC Online:
PvE: Airstrike (level 12 Hero, Tanker), Catastrophe (level 25 Villain, Healer)
PvP: Ghost Games (level 12 Hero, Controller)

CO: AnnaPuna (26), Annihilator (12), , Crimson Shadow (22), Enforcer (13), Law of the Dead (12), Reaper (13), Yeti (14), Slither (12), Penny Playful (14)

Aion: Aiyana (Spiritmaster)/Gorgos, Lilyth (Chanter)/Perento, Lilyth (Chanter)/Telemachus

"May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine."
Frank Sinatra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:01 pm 

Nope. Phalanx Fighting gives you a nice little bonus (3%) for each ally near you. It's actually 3.6% per ally (with one defence slot, 4.7% per ally with 3 slots) but they must be within 8 ft! Mind you, you should be running Grant Cover too (to cover their arses with a great defence bonus) and so you should have one tight-packed bunch of mates around you at all times (perfect for receiving enemy AOE damage :)).

EDIT: Actually Mids seems to have an error in its maths here. IN one view the unslotted bonus is 3% per ally, in another its 8%! If it nearer 8% x 3-5 team mates, then it's a terrific extra buff and works against all types too (melee, ranged and aoe).

[b]MrX Heroes: MrX Lvl 50 warshade. | MIND0R Lvl 50 mind/emp troll | The-Messenger Lvl 50 BS/regen scrap | Covert Lvl 42 kin/pys def | .Relic Lvl 42 illu/emp troll | Havoc Lvl 42 kin/elec def | The-Elemental Lvl 39 storm/dark def | Unsung Lvl 38 dark/regen scrap | WRENCH Lvl 34 shield/wrench tank | The Watcher Lvl 15 earth/rad troller | Villains: FR0STBITE Lvl 50 ice/kin corr | Dark-X Lvl 47 dark/stone brute | N'Ice Lvl 42 ice/rad corr | Vortex Lvl 42 robotics/storm MM | ShadowBaby Lvl 41 claws/regen stalk | The Cloak Lvl 41 energy/energy stalk | Thang Lvl 39 robotics/FF MM | IonFist Lvl 34 energy/ninjitsu stalk | The Somnabulist Lvl 33 dark/nec MM | Mr Kripplin Lvl 32 rad/rad corr | M0RBIUS Lvl 20 necro/poison MM | The Infrigidator Lvl 20 ice/cold corr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:52 pm 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

yea mids is a bit iffy on the figures i think its because it based on outside influences power there is a little slider on it tho for adjusting it from being effect by 1 to 3 players (not sure is it affected by more than this?)

As X says grant cover is the lame (ish) power that only granted your allies defence if there near you however its important to you as it gives you a large chunk (13%) of resist defence debuffs which is pretty dam important for a defence based toon it also gives you 13% resist to recharge debuffs which is good considering your status protection is a click.

Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians

The rest of my Alts

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:34 am 

Well I respecced Chontal yesterday afternoon (half a day off work, but not for playing CoH lol) and I added Phalanx Fighting and Tough Powers. I picked up some cheap IO Sets that have now increased my Regeneration rate by a total of 26% and my Endurance Recovery by 5%. When I get to level 37 I will have 3 more recipes to add that will increase my Health by 3.76% and my Endurance Recovery by another 1.8%.

Deflection is now slotted with 3 x Res and 3 x Def
And I have concentrated on slotting End Redx and Accuracy in my attacks where possible.

The result was that my ability to remain upright was lengthened greatly and Blastor was making less Respite and Luck donations. :wink:
My Endurance is great, even against Carnies and Arachnos the endurance lasted very well.

In fact it was all going soooo well (against Reds and Purples) and then at last we came across Longbow. I was pleased I was going to test it against them again and the result was good. Just one little misshap where I got battered by two bosses!

I am very happy with the changes I made, I Can happily wave my bone at everything again. Thanks for the tips everyone :mrgreen:

Oh... and i now have that rather odd Shield Charge power. Good for creating aggro if you want more! 8-[

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:10 pm 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

Betty wrote:

I Can happily wave my bone at everything again. Thanks for the tips everyone :mrgreen:

Um wouldnt do that in public

Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians

The rest of my Alts

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!