THE INTREPIDS & THE INSTITUTION WEBPAGE

It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Not fair *Stomps feet*
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:49 pm 

Rapier has been enjoying (mostly) playing a Willpower tank and we’ve been slotting him up with some nice IO sets along the way. :D However, we’ve noticed that the ‘uber’ power, Strength of Will, does not accept “Recharge” enhancements and so is not affected by the +5% recharge bonus from Crushing Impacts, the power ‘Hasten’ not any ‘Speed Boost’ buffs. The recharge time of the power is 5 minutes and that’s unchangeable. :(

This seems unfair given that Unstoppable is similar and can be slotted with recharges. Anybody know the reason behind this? #-o

Post subject: Re: Not fair *Stomps feet*
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:12 pm 
Professor

It was a test case IIRC to see if they could do it. In theory it's got a shorter recharge than the other top tier powers of their kind... so can be used more often. It wasn't just willpower that got hit with this, although I can't recall off the top of my head which other sets have it, but anything new (at least newer than willpower) I'd expect to find the same thing going on.

I vaguely recall some mumblings that if the tech worked (which it clearly does) they may adjust the other equivalent powers (such as Unstoppable) to behave in a similar way.

Official Chiefette Translator
----------------------------------
Intrepids
LOx lvl27 Tanker
Synaptic Pulse lvl25 Defender

Legends
Ebon Hawk (Claws/Regen Scrapper)
Girl Fusion (Empathy/Rad Blast Defender)
Zenobia Blade (Broadsword/Shield/Blaze Scrapper)
Pyrokyne (Fire/Kin/Mu Corruptor)
Blaize of Glory (Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster)
Silver Falcon (Tri-form Peacebringer)
Second Sun (Fire/Rad Controller)

Institution
Bitter Blizzard lvl 50 Corruptor
Taze lvl 17 Brute

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:06 pm 

That sounds about right Ebon. Shield Defense's One with the Shield is the same. Having said that, Rapier seems extremely hardy as he is. :)

[b]MrX Heroes: MrX Lvl 50 warshade. | MIND0R Lvl 50 mind/emp troll | The-Messenger Lvl 50 BS/regen scrap | Covert Lvl 42 kin/pys def | .Relic Lvl 42 illu/emp troll | Havoc Lvl 42 kin/elec def | The-Elemental Lvl 39 storm/dark def | Unsung Lvl 38 dark/regen scrap | WRENCH Lvl 34 shield/wrench tank | The Watcher Lvl 15 earth/rad troller | Villains: FR0STBITE Lvl 50 ice/kin corr | Dark-X Lvl 47 dark/stone brute | N'Ice Lvl 42 ice/rad corr | Vortex Lvl 42 robotics/storm MM | ShadowBaby Lvl 41 claws/regen stalk | The Cloak Lvl 41 energy/energy stalk | Thang Lvl 39 robotics/FF MM | IonFist Lvl 34 energy/ninjitsu stalk | The Somnabulist Lvl 33 dark/nec MM | Mr Kripplin Lvl 32 rad/rad corr | M0RBIUS Lvl 20 necro/poison MM | The Infrigidator Lvl 20 ice/cold corr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:16 pm 

Well it's poo with a capital P!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

Tier 9 Powers accepting recharge buffs:
Electric Armour - Power Surge - 1000 secs recharge - HP & End loss when it wears off.
Energy Aura - Overload - 1000 secs recharge - Only End loss when it wears off.
Invulnerability - Unstoppable - 1000 secs recharge - HP & End loss when it wears off.
Super Reflexes - Elude - 1000 recharge - Only End loss when it wears off.

Tier 9 Powers with fixed recharge:
Shield Defence - One with the Shield - 360 secs recharge - Only End loss when it wears off.
Willpower - Strength of Will - 300 secs recharge - Only End loss when it wears off.

Betty, even with my Invulnerable tanker's full IO build and with 3 time reduc IOs on Unstoppable, I was able to bring its recharge time from 1000 to 350 seconds. I guess Willpower's Strength of Will is the fastest tier 9 power among others. Plus SoW is safer than Unstoppable since there's no HP loss when it wears off.

The Intrepids:
Blastor-Level 50 Energy/Fire/Electrical Blaster, Dr. Blast-Level 50 Robotics/Force Field/Mace Mastermind, Holy Blast-Level 50 Peacebringer, Blasting Spines-Level 50 Spines/Regeneration/Body Scrapper, Heatblast-Level 50 Invulnerability/Fiery/Pyre Tanker, Fire Blast-Level 50 Fire/Kinetics/Leviathan Corruptor, Thunder Steel-Level 50 Ninja/Ninjitsu/Mu Stalker, Israfel the Fallen-Level 50 Sonic/Thermal/Dark Corruptor, Blastor Ascended-Level 50 Psychic/Energy/Force Blaster, Fright-Level 50 Kinetic/Dark Armour/Energy Brute, Calibro-Level 50 Dual Pistols/Radiation/Power Corruptor, Nlidia-Level 50 Gravity/Storm/Ice Controller.

The Institution:
Admiral Blast-Level 50 Energy/Energy/Mace Brute, Darkest Blast-Level 50 Mind/Psionic/Leviathan Dominator, Arbiter Blast-Level 50 Crab/Mace Arachnos Soldier, Unmerciful Steel-Level 50 Dual Blades/Willpower/Soul Brute, Mind Blaster-Level 50 Dark Miasma/Psychic/Psychic Defender, Blastor Reborn-Level 50 Ice/Electric/Force Blaster, Superiora-Level 50 Invulnerability/Super Strength/Energy Tanker, Gaia Queen-Level 50 Plant/Empathy/Stone Controller, Shadow Seer-Level 50 Fortunata/Soul Arachnos Widow, Zamana-Level 50 Time/Beam Rifle Defender, Wild Raven-Level 50 Will Power/Street Justice/Energy Tanker, Nlador-Level 50 Titan/Fiery Brute.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:50 pm 

Now that explains it. I didn't check the recharge times of the other tier 9's :?
Thanks Blastor.

I'm still trying out some Tanks at the moment. My Granite is so boring to play. The trouble is i think i am just not cut out to be a tank :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:50 pm 
Professor

You should have more faith Betty. We haven't had a truly crazy balance change since Statesman was still in charge!

Official Chiefette Translator
----------------------------------
Intrepids
LOx lvl27 Tanker
Synaptic Pulse lvl25 Defender

Legends
Ebon Hawk (Claws/Regen Scrapper)
Girl Fusion (Empathy/Rad Blast Defender)
Zenobia Blade (Broadsword/Shield/Blaze Scrapper)
Pyrokyne (Fire/Kin/Mu Corruptor)
Blaize of Glory (Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster)
Silver Falcon (Tri-form Peacebringer)
Second Sun (Fire/Rad Controller)

Institution
Bitter Blizzard lvl 50 Corruptor
Taze lvl 17 Brute

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:05 am 

Betty wrote:
My Granite is so boring to play. The trouble is i think i am just not cut out to be a tank :shock:

Yep. Granite only comes semi-alive with an Sber on it's tail. :) Mind you, Granite on my brute is good fun. I only drop into granite mode when all else fails - and as Mess says, "Granite is the ultimate God mode" as you can toggle into it and out of it every 4 seconds (from memory). And once in it nothing (bar Carnivals) are going to touch you.

So you could respec a bit to concentrate on your other non-granite shields or try another tank? LIke you I've tried a few and the most entertaining for me so far is elec/elec - which can seriously end debuff a boss in just a few seconds - for an added bonus. Although Rapier's willpower tank also looks great to me.

X

[b]MrX Heroes: MrX Lvl 50 warshade. | MIND0R Lvl 50 mind/emp troll | The-Messenger Lvl 50 BS/regen scrap | Covert Lvl 42 kin/pys def | .Relic Lvl 42 illu/emp troll | Havoc Lvl 42 kin/elec def | The-Elemental Lvl 39 storm/dark def | Unsung Lvl 38 dark/regen scrap | WRENCH Lvl 34 shield/wrench tank | The Watcher Lvl 15 earth/rad troller | Villains: FR0STBITE Lvl 50 ice/kin corr | Dark-X Lvl 47 dark/stone brute | N'Ice Lvl 42 ice/rad corr | Vortex Lvl 42 robotics/storm MM | ShadowBaby Lvl 41 claws/regen stalk | The Cloak Lvl 41 energy/energy stalk | Thang Lvl 39 robotics/FF MM | IonFist Lvl 34 energy/ninjitsu stalk | The Somnabulist Lvl 33 dark/nec MM | Mr Kripplin Lvl 32 rad/rad corr | M0RBIUS Lvl 20 necro/poison MM | The Infrigidator Lvl 20 ice/cold corr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:09 pm 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

MrX wrote:
. And once in it nothing (bar Carnivals) are going to touch you.

Add inventions and even carnival will have trouble denting you

Of course in the words of Yoda granite not a tank make.

If you want a serous granite tank you need to invest heavily in IOs that will boost your recharge speed (ovusly) but more important ones that will boost your regeneration and max HP as its the fact that using rooted in conjunction with health and earths embrace you can recover lots of HP relitvly quickly normally quicker than damage can be done to you.

You can of course go the other root and treat granit as a emergency button and instead use your other armours in conjunction with lots of other Def boosts (IOs, weave, etc) which works as a good mini tank type build also excellent for brutes as you don't suffer the damage penalty

Angus(1), Mr Meccano(9), Hard Target(5), Big Zero(18), Anubis(9), Dummy(1)

CoH Globals: @MESS or @TRASH
Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians
Tainted Mess (50) Brute, TRASH (50) Brute, Magmite (50) Brute, Smelt Furnace (50) Brute

The rest of my Alts

Twitter (don't expect me to update it)

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:15 am 

I do tend to rely on Granite as i find i can't withstand the damage with my other armours on, probably because i haven't slotted it up right.
He does need a respec. I'll have to sit and plan it. :D

Ebon Hawk wrote:
You should have more faith Betty. We haven't had a truly crazy balance change since Statesman was still in charge!

hehe yes i know... but with the other half always moaning about 'nerfs' or 'hidden nerfs' or 'enemy buffs' etc you get paranoid!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:15 am 

Betty wrote:
I do tend to rely on Granite as i find i can't withstand the damage with my other armours on, probably because i haven't slotted it up right.
He does need a respec. I'll have to sit and plan it. :D

You'll "have to sit and plan it"? That's one of my fav occupations. Reminds me how much I miss doing the old respec missions. It was always one of CoH best TF's. I wish they had more like it. And so exciting to actually save the reactor AND get your respec!

PS I just checked by Stone Brute build. With him I've maxed out Hasten and Earth's Embrace (to bring that back pretty fast and I don't have any other defence armor! :shock: But he does have Darkest Night epic - which does a very similar job. I.E. not much help! :D