THE INTREPIDS & THE INSTITUTION WEBPAGE

It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: [SPOILERS!] The Dark Knight reviewed.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:46 am 
The Little Manic

When the lights went on after the end credits, there was not a doubt in my mind that I had just seen the best film of the year and probably the best action film ever. I know that this is a bold statement, so I would like to share how I got to this conclusion.

The first and foremost is the excellent casting - every character has an actor that matches perfectly - none more so of course than the Joker!
Empire has called his performance monumental and I can only whole-heartedly agree, the late Australian actor has managed to beat Nicholson on his own turf. Where the old Joker always felt a bit camp and did not really manage to scare me, even though I was pretty much a kid back then, the new one chilled me to the bone.
Only one other actor has ever managed to portrait this kind of absolute evil with this kind of credibility - and that was Sir Anthony Hopkins in 'Silence of the Lambs'.

I was a bit dubious about the casting of Harvey Dent first, but the actor brought a kind of sincerity and already a hint of madness - to the character that I consider amazing. And when he turns, he is just ... well, he IS Two-Face, demonic even when you don't see the perfectly created CG-face.

Also I cannot recall ever having spent close to 3 hours on the edge of my seat, the film is perfectly paced and unpredictable without losing coherence or the plot.
I like the way it first seems to run pretty much according to plan, the Joker shows up, he is seen to be very dangerous, the heroes come up with the desperate plan to use Harvey to catch the madman. And they do catch him.
But then everything goes to hell in a hand basket - showing that we in the audience underestimated the clown as much as the heroes did. Everything seems lost and the Batman has to realize that he doesn't know how to beat this madman, and in a way he doesn't. This Joker doesn't use simple plots with poison-gas balloons, he thinks at least 3 steps further than his opponents.

That was what really got me - if I had to name the best scene in the film, my favorite doesn't even have any of the main characters in it. It is the one where the evil looking prisoner chucks the remote out of the window and the cold business man just cannot push the button. In a very real sense the people of Gotham beat the Joker - but they ARE lucky that the Batman is there to save them after they did.

Then the last act - again they have underestimated the Joker, have not understood how dementedly brilliant he is. Him turning Dent into Two-Face must have been the clown's masterpiece of evil. Everything seems lost, all the efforts and heroics for naught.
That is when Batman shows his true strength, the way he silently takes responsibility for Dent's crimes and gives him a clean slate is just brilliant. And the way they showed it on-screen with Batman turning the destroyed half of Dent's face away and expose the undamaged one was unparalleled.

And it is left to Gordon's young son to protest against this injustice - with his and incredulous "But he hasn't done anything wrong!"

10 out of 10, if I have ever seen one!

Level 50s in CoH - @zoser
Zoser (main), ElectroCute, CopyCatz, Fire.Fly, PaintItBlack, Kid Aurora, LittleJoe, Zoserino, Star.Born, Starchild, and Lightning.Strike

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

Post subject: Re: [SPOILERS!] The Dark Knight reviewed.
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:25 am 
The Little Manic

Hi,

I have something to add now. :)

After having seen the specials on the DVD-set, including the well-produced "Gotham Nights" fake newscasts, my respect for the ingenious Chris Nolan has risen even further. These short clips (each about 5-10 minutes) are set before the events of "The Dark Knight" and they add a new dimension of realism and scope to the film that has not been seen before.
Produced with the actors from the film they explore the different characters in the film as real-life reporters would - so you do have Harvey Dent, Commissioner Loeb, Sal Maroni and the reporter Mr. Engel in the studio discussing the events leading to the film.

And there was one moment of great personal satisfaction for me:
Some people have bitched that the film doesn't explain where the Joker managed to obtain the liberal amounts of explosives he uses during the film. To me this never was of much interest - I assumed that a criminal mastermind would have no problems with a task as "simple" as this.
But in the "Gotham Nights" special on crime (again, this was shot and released months before the film!) the reporter mentions in passing the case where a whole shipload of Ammonium Nitrate had been stolen by a guy so crazy that he even grinned into the camera.

Take that, you nitpickers! :D

Zos

Level 50s in CoH - @zoser
Zoser (main), ElectroCute, CopyCatz, Fire.Fly, PaintItBlack, Kid Aurora, LittleJoe, Zoserino, Star.Born, Starchild, and Lightning.Strike

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:59 pm 

[icon-xmas/icon_rolleyes.gif]

It's good.... ok, it's very good...... ohhhhh ok its dam good!! [icon-xmas/icon_mrgreen.gif]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:02 am 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

Patiently awaits his Xmas copy.....................
still waiting [icon-xmas/icon_evil.gif]
Damit santa get a move on [icon-xmas/icon_evil.gif]

Angus(1), Mr Meccano(9), Hard Target(5), Big Zero(18), Anubis(9), Dummy(1)

CoH Globals: @MESS or @TRASH
Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians
Tainted Mess (50) Brute, TRASH (50) Brute, Magmite (50) Brute, Smelt Furnace (50) Brute

The rest of my Alts

Twitter (don't expect me to update it)

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!