THE INTREPIDS & THE INSTITUTION WEBPAGE

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: This film is seriousely lacking SPIRIT (Spoilers!)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:05 am 
The Little Manic

Hi all,

When I went to see this film "The Spirit" on Friday, I did have some high expectations, after all we had a classic superhero created by Will Eisner in a film directed by Frank Miller. And the visuals I saw in the trailers looked awesome as well.

To be fair, the film looks great - a slightly nicer version of Sin City and the mood is slightly lighter too. But unfortunately the dialogues and "plot" didn't live up to it. With about 2 hours it is fairly long and I found myself waiting for the end credits after about 1 hour.

I can accept overplayed archetypal characters, if it is done with the right amount of tongue in cheek and if it is funny. Unfortunately neither is the case here. I am not sure if it is the actors not doing their job or if the direction is lacking, but to me the film came across as taking itself very serious.

What really bugged me though was the sloppy way the film was done - about 90% of it has a 50s look with old-fashioned cars, buildings and outfits. But then you suddenly have PDAs and modern gunships - which totally destroyed the mood for me.

Also even I as someone who has little problem with Germany being ridiculed found it a bit grating to have the current German national anthem played at the Nazi-scene (with Swastika, Hitler and SS-Uniform) . True, the music was also used by the Nazis, but it certainly wasn't their favourite.

I give this a very generous 5, and only because most of the visuals are still very well done.

Zoser

Level 50s in CoH - @zoser
Zoser (main), ElectroCute, CopyCatz, Fire.Fly, PaintItBlack, Kid Aurora, LittleJoe, Zoserino, Star.Born, Starchild, and Lightning.Strike

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)