THE INTREPIDS & THE INSTITUTION WEBPAGE

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:29 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Watchmen ... (Beware, some spoilers!)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:05 pm 
The Little Manic

Saw this today and can only say WOW.
If you see just one film this year, this should be it!

10/10!
Zos
*secretly cheering for Rorschach*

Level 50s in CoH - @zoser
Zoser (main), ElectroCute, CopyCatz, Fire.Fly, PaintItBlack, Kid Aurora, LittleJoe, Zoserino, Star.Born, Starchild, and Lightning.Strike

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

Post subject: Re: Watchmen ... (Please keep free of spoilers!)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:04 am 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

was gona go see it but still wasent thrilled by the prospect so watched TV instead i just dont see whats so great about watchmen.

Angus(1), Mr Meccano(9), Hard Target(5), Big Zero(18), Anubis(9), Dummy(1)

CoH Globals: @MESS or @TRASH
Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians
Tainted Mess (50) Brute, TRASH (50) Brute, Magmite (50) Brute, Smelt Furnace (50) Brute

The rest of my Alts

Twitter (don't expect me to update it)

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:15 am 
The Little Manic

Hi all,

Now I have a bit of time to say a bit more about the film, although I will keep it short not to spoil anything. :)

Why should one see Watchmen?
- First of all, I grew up in the 80s and therefore I experienced the constant fear of nuclear destruction myself - so I can relate to the tone of the film.
- Secondly the characters are great, very flawed, very human.
- The book (and by extension the film) raises quite a number of interesting questions about the morality to use superpowers for the benefit of one nation only.
- The film is very very complex and it is not just about superheroes - in the end of the day it is about human nature.
- Visually the film is stupendous, the director has a very good eye for making scenes work - although a lot of it is again Moore's work.
- All the actors are fantastic in it, but none more so than , Jackie Earle Haley who plays the driven (to say the least) Rorschach. Anyone who thought Batman was crazy should have a look at this guy - and they will agree that old Bats is perfectly sane compared to him. :)
- The music was carefully chosen and it took me right back to the 80s. The way they used Dyllan's "The Times are a-changing" was a stroke of genius and it chilled me to the core.

Now I have to admit that there is one reason why one should not see the film - it is violent.
It is very very violent.
It is "Sin City" violent.
In most cases in the film the violence is justified and you feel sickened by it - as you should - but there are some scenes I considered gratuitous; I believe one could have achieved the same in different ways.
Do not - and I mean it - do not see this film if you thought "Sin City" went too far - this film takes it one step further.
For this reason I almost scored it down to 9 or 8, but I still think it is a 10.

Do I like it more than "The Dark Knight"?
Hell, no! :)

Zos

Zoser (main), ElectroCute, CopyCatz, Fire.Fly, PaintItBlack, Kid Aurora, LittleJoe, Zoserino, Star.Born, Starchild, and Lightning.Strike

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:43 am 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

Still not seen it think ill wait till the hype dies a death then go see it. what i find interesting about the hole watchmen thing is that while yes the book (along with a few others) was pretty instrumental in changing the comics to much more reality based and giving us proper characters with lives that didn't involve them wearing spandex 24/7 or being upstanding all American guys and gals but i wonder dose the film bring anything new to this from what i understand its pretty much scene for scene like the book its basically re treading the same ideas which seems a shame the director (i think may have been the righter) stated he didn't want to update the story and make it more based in the present day (all be it a alternate present day) which is something he's been praised for.

Personally i think he was wrong watchmen worked at least on one lvl because as you mentioned Zos its based in the 80s with that overhanging threat of nuclear war it was rooted in the times they should have done the same with the film they should have taken its core values and transplanted them into a modern setting I'm not sure how much involvement moor had in the film but if he was involved I'm sure he could have handled updating it to root it in today's history rather than the pasts.

Anyways i withhold finale verdict till i see maybe it'll change my mind :)

Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians
Tainted Mess (50) Brute, TRASH (50) Brute, Magmite (50) Brute, Smelt Furnace (50) Brute

The rest of my Alts

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:36 am 
Professor

Mess... Moore wasn't involved at all. He has publicly called Watchmen unfilmable.

I personally think that to try to update the film would have been a mistake. We no longer have a plausable threat of global war resulting in nuclear armageddon... and really that's a central part of Watchmens story.

I don't know if Zos ever got around to reading the book before watching the film (hopefully he did). As somebody who has, my feelings are mixed (although predominantly on the approving side). The core of the story was kept very intact (even with the relatively well publicised changes to the details of the endgame) but I do feel that the film lost a great deal of the richness that came from the wider examination of human nature and interactions that the book covered with a number of ancillary lines of story. Unfortunately I have to agree that there just wasn't time to include that kind of material due to length, but it does seem a shame to have so heavily watered down aspects like the interaction between Rorschach and his psychiatrist (as well as cutting short the conversation on Mars, which is pivotal to the start of the endgame). I also felt the end of the film was weak.. it just kind of trailed off. But again that tends to reflect the book, although not quote following the book due to the earlier changes.

All in all my opinion was that the film very much hits more than it misses, and most of its misses are understandable from the perspective of a film-maker. It's well worth seeing, unless violence really doesn't work for you... as Zos has warned this is graphically violent.

I'm a little disappointed that Snyder seemed to feel the need to power the protagonists up as much as he did. They are just a bit too strong and durable really; after all, with the exception of big blue, these are all just ordinary folks, albeit with good physical training.

I'd have no qualms about recommending this film though... get's the Ebon Hawk thumbs up :D

Official Chiefette Translator
----------------------------------
Intrepids
LOx lvl27 Tanker
Synaptic Pulse lvl25 Defender

Legends
Ebon Hawk (Claws/Regen Scrapper)
Girl Fusion (Empathy/Rad Blast Defender)
Zenobia Blade (Broadsword/Shield/Blaze Scrapper)
Pyrokyne (Fire/Kin/Mu Corruptor)
Blaize of Glory (Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster)
Silver Falcon (Tri-form Peacebringer)
Second Sun (Fire/Rad Controller)

Institution
Bitter Blizzard lvl 50 Corruptor
Taze lvl 17 Brute

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:03 pm 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

Ebon Hawk wrote:
Mess... Moore wasn't involved at all. He has publicly called Watchmen unfilmable.

Weirdly i imagined that was going to be the answer he's a notoriously grumpy Git (probably explains a lot of his righting actually) that may also go some way to explain why it wasnt reworked as had any one other than Moore reworked it the die hard fans would probably lynched the crew.

as to global threat while we dont have the out right threat of America Vs Russia (and every other poor sod stuck in the middle) there is still the global (as in America not actually global) threat of terrorism tho that could be a real double edged sword its only real works when you can draw on real world events to root the idea of attacks in and then build apon them (see criminal minds, NCIS and even CSI new york who all manage to do build apon it without either a) looking like there gloryfing it or b) make it look like a non threat because there so uber its stopped without any actual drama)

All in all your probably right and while i would have liked to see it reworked reworking it would probably have resulted in them gutting it and turning it into another "spawn"

Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians

The rest of my Alts

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:43 am 
Barbie Girl

i watched the trailers,i visited the sixminutesthilmidnight webside (recomend btw,if only to hear Rorschach say "they gave me an iq test once.....failed....try again" :p,should have taken the opertunity in cambridge becouse seeing what the movie is like makes me wana read the comic :)

on a personal note i "adore" Comedian,but dont realy like the nite owl costume :/

Mess wrote:
"We need animal costumes"

Gravity is a harsh mistress

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:43 pm 

me and my gf enjoyed the film.. although neither of us realised how long it was!

Heroes

Mistress Heal (lvl 50 Defender)/(lvl 32 Defender)
Rockealie (lvl 50 tanker)
Nictus Heal (lvl 50 Warshade)
Kheldian Heal (lvl 50 Peacebringer)
Felispine (lvl 50 Scrapper)
Tickled Pink (lvl 50 Tanker)
Evasive (lvl 50 Scrapper)
Amplified (lvl 50 Blaster)
Madame Heal (lvl 50 Defender)
Dominatrix Heal (lvl 50 Controller)
Countess Heal (lvl 50 Defender)
Healie (lvl 32 Scrapper)
Black Chastity (lvl 37 Scrapper)
Sakhmet (lvl 32 Scrapper)
Feli (lvl 27 Scrapper)
Kynxie (lvl 20 controller)
Radealie (lvl 19 defender)
Insecta Sapien (lvl 14 defender)

Villains

Foxie Fatale (lvl 50 Stalker)
Hot Heal (lvl 50 Corruptor)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:44 am 
 WWW  Profile

Healie wrote:
me and my gf enjoyed the film.. although neither of us realised how long it was!

ha i agree dude, i had serious cheek numbness after this film but thought it was worth the effort.

not as good as the dark knight but 10x better than ghost rider ha!

Supes' 50 Family:

Super Electrode - Blaster
Warrior Electrode - Scrapper
Electrode Storm - Controller
Captain liberty Jr - Tank
Captain Snowspeed - Defender
Fallout Electrode - Corrupter
Ninja Electrode - Stalker

-------------------------------------------------
Holy Electrified Furballs!!!
Go Super Team Electrode!!!

--------------------------------------------------
@Electrode

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:20 pm 
The Little Manic

Listen to Mr. Electrode - he knows! :)
I also much preferred the Dark Knight, but I respect Watchmen for pushing it wayyyy past mainstream compatibility.

Zos

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:02 am 
 WWW  Profile

Zoser wrote:
Listen to Mr. Electrode - he knows! :)
I also much preferred the Dark Knight, but I respect Watchmen for pushing it wayyyy past mainstream compatibility.

Zos

yer hardcore graphic comic book violence ftw!

i also love the fact that the majority of them dont actually have any super powers....

Supes' 50 Family:

Super Electrode - Blaster
Warrior Electrode - Scrapper
Electrode Storm - Controller
Captain liberty Jr - Tank
Captain Snowspeed - Defender
Fallout Electrode - Corrupter
Ninja Electrode - Stalker

-------------------------------------------------
Holy Electrified Furballs!!!
Go Super Team Electrode!!!

@Electrode

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:05 am 
The Little Manic

Hi 'Trepids,

Since the poor kids were excluded from the "Watchmen" film, due to its slightly *coughs* violent nature, I give you now the "Watchmen" Saturday morning cartoon series.

Enjoy - and imagine Moore's reaction to it ... :D
Zos

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:53 am 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

You know i've still not went and seen this ah well be on dvd soon may get it then

Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians

The rest of my Alts

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:49 pm 
Professor

You missed out Mess.... that's all I'm gonna say.

By the by, not really the place for it but while I'm posting anyway; I'm not going to be able to make tonights SG night :( So have fun with all the action.

Intrepids
LOx lvl27 Tanker

Legends

Institution
Taze lvl 17 Brute

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:24 pm 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

It never really appealed to be honest plus going by the revues it misses bits and then reading the stuff on the upcoming blueray/dvd its gona have a shed load of extras and could clock in at a 3+ hour film so why spend the 13 quid + food for the cinema showing when i can spend 20 on play and watch at my leisure on my nice cumfy couch with food only a room away

(I recon I'm becoming more and more jaded by the cinema and torrents are looking more and more attractive for more than getting a hold of that obscure horror film that went strait to late night TV which you always miss the first 30 mins off)

Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians

The rest of my Alts

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:55 pm 

I saw this last night. Full HD on BluRay. Just fantastic. I can't wait to watch it through again. I actually thought the first half or so of the movie was verging on sublime with perhaps the best opening credits/soundtrack I've ever seen and heard in any movie. The last third of the movie did have me looking at my watch though - I was just curious how and when they would start winding the story either up or down for the 'big climax'.

I'm going to write a review up on Lovefilm.com for this and want to watch it again first but thought:

1) the credits intro was just fantastic, one of the best I've ever seen.
2) The satirical take on the USA as a superpower and superheroes as an answer to all our problems (along Dr Manhattan’s quest to resolve our energy needs as a solution to all our problems) was also just great and refreshing to experience - even though The Dark Knight plays out to similar themes.
3) Mess, you must have seen this by now. I wasn't actually expecting too much after all the relatively poor reviews. I just thought I'd pick a quite night to watch it after having bought the disc ages ago. Mess: after the spate of crap comic-book movies such as the fantastic four, ghost rider and even Hancock this movie is a return to comic-book force matching and surpassing many (but not all) aspects of the Dark Knight - and delivering the kind of story the most mainstream US movies just don't even get close too.

More than anything this movie reminded me so much of the limitation of mainstream Hollywood movie system and the whole American Dream ethos that most US movies use to drive there stories. Watchmen is a great and graphic reminder that the US dream is busted, it's a largely all smoke and mirrors (or lipstick, plastic surgery and mirrors) and essentially flawed. Watchmen and the original story gleefully attacks the soft underbelly of the US super dream and exposes it for what it is: trash. The movie came soooo close to delivering an almost flawless satire on the American Obsession, let's call it, that I did want to standup and cheer on my sofa at one point.

That's the first half of the movie covered at least.

I haven't read the comics/novel yet - but will - so can't compare it but the second half of the story meandered just a little too much for me. The lead actor playing the ‘smartest guy in the world’ didn’t quite pull it off for me and the Nite Owl character was just OK so the relationships between these two, Dr Manahattan and lead girl (Silk Spectre) in the movie didn’t come out as well as first half build-up. The two weakest scenes in the movie ...

- The Nite Owl/Silk Spectre rocket sex scene. This would have been far more effective if the director hadn’t pulled the punches and made that a much grittier/saddist scene (further question the reality of the American Dream)
- The building on fire/rescue was far too token, undramatic and cliché ridden. What was the director thinking (unless this was a direct scene for the comics).

... were also played out in the second half. Somehow, after more than 2-2.25 hours the ending also somehow came along too fast (or out of context with the build up). This is being hyper-critical for the sake of it. Armchair critics being two-a-penny.

What the director (Zack Snyder) and his producers should get from this is full plaudits for daring to make such a graphic, kick in the teeth satire on the American Dream, dressed up, as its central characters do, as glamorous world heroes.

Can’t wait for MrsX to go out so I can watch it again. :D

[b]MrX Heroes: MrX Lvl 50 warshade. | MIND0R Lvl 50 mind/emp troll | The-Messenger Lvl 50 BS/regen scrap | Covert Lvl 42 kin/pys def | .Relic Lvl 42 illu/emp troll | Havoc Lvl 42 kin/elec def | The-Elemental Lvl 39 storm/dark def | Unsung Lvl 38 dark/regen scrap | WRENCH Lvl 34 shield/wrench tank | The Watcher Lvl 15 earth/rad troller | Villains: FR0STBITE Lvl 50 ice/kin corr | Dark-X Lvl 47 dark/stone brute | N'Ice Lvl 42 ice/rad corr | Vortex Lvl 42 robotics/storm MM | ShadowBaby Lvl 41 claws/regen stalk | The Cloak Lvl 41 energy/energy stalk | Thang Lvl 39 robotics/FF MM | IonFist Lvl 34 energy/ninjitsu stalk | The Somnabulist Lvl 33 dark/nec MM | Mr Kripplin Lvl 32 rad/rad corr | M0RBIUS Lvl 20 necro/poison MM | The Infrigidator Lvl 20 ice/cold corr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:57 pm 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

Actualy nope not seen it yet sure ill get round to it eventually though maybe next year.

Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians

The rest of my Alts

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

Post subject: Re: Watchmen ... (Beware, some spoilers!)
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:05 pm 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

Well finally after many many long months i sat sown to watch watchmen all i can say is Urg :(

What the hell were they thinking its just so (reaches for the correct word and fails) bloated there's so much extra story in there its ridiculous its a bit like one of those made for TV movies you get that was really meant to kick of a series

there was just far to much back story to make it move along at a good pace.

Its way way down there on MESSs list of favorite super hero flicks (its even lower than hulk i think :(

Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians

The rest of my Alts

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:26 pm 
Professor

Mess... I'm presuming you have never read the graphic novel either? It's big, and loaded with backstory to give you a fully fleshed alternate reality US in the 80's. They actually trimmed a huge amount of backstory and side storylines for the movie.

I guess it is definitely a marmite film, I can see how people would not get on with it, but personally I loved it.

Intrepids
LOx lvl27 Tanker

Legends

Institution
Taze lvl 17 Brute

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:44 pm 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

nope I've read the book and enjoyed it but the story worked in that format but i think as a movie it was just to true to its origins and could have done with taking a bit more liberties.

Also we learn where manhattan gets his abilities but what about the others of all the main characters only night owl seems to be base line human all the others seem to have some degree of heightened strength and/or resistance (normal people don't punch holes in concrete and crack marble. it also takes a fair bit of strength to lift some one above your head and then fling them thru a window especially after you've had a fight.

Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians

The rest of my Alts

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:03 pm 
Professor

I won't argue with you as far as the capabilities of the people goes.... they did all seem a bit more 'super' than they should have done...

Intrepids
LOx lvl27 Tanker

Legends

Institution
Taze lvl 17 Brute