THE INTREPIDS & THE INSTITUTION WEBPAGE

It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Gran Torino - an excellent vintage! (No spoilers please)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:11 pm 
The Little Manic

Hi all,

First I was not really convinced I had to see this one, as I got the impression this would be some kind of "retired Dirty Harry" thing. And actually it is only thanks to the fact that the film Ebon and I went to see wasn't actually on that I got to see it.

And oh boy, did I enjoy it!
Like a very good wine or whisky, Clint Eastwood seems to get better with every passing year, both as a director and as an actor - and with this film he has outdone himself!

We meet him as Walt Kowalski, a bitter old racist that really nobody but his recently deceased wife could stand at all - and with reason. He lives in a neighbourhood that is changing around him, more and more foreigners move in to his never-ending grief and anger.
Then a chance-meeting puts him at odds with one of the local gangs and he starts to get in contact with his foreign neighbours. What follows is not mindless action, but a wonderfully acted drama which draws you in and doesn't let go again.

I will say no more, as I promised no spoilers - but DO stay for the end credits, there is no lost scene afterwards, but the music is hauntingly beautiful. It is the first time ever that I came home from watching a film and immediately downloaded the song from iTunes.

A solid 10 out of 10, if ever there was one!

Zos

Level 50s in CoH - @zoser
Zoser (main), ElectroCute, CopyCatz, Fire.Fly, PaintItBlack, Kid Aurora, LittleJoe, Zoserino, Star.Born, Starchild, and Lightning.Strike

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

Post subject: Re: Gran Torino - an excellent vintage! (No spoilers please)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:46 pm 

hell yeah! completely agree on this one!

everything cinematically was just perfect, and clint was a legend!

probably the best film, (competition with watchmen) that i have seen this year... and not found a fault with

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:09 pm 

Hi Zos/Healie,

Totally agree. Just read this. We're discussing, in a round about way, best movies, sci-fi or not in the Avatar thread but for me this is one the best films made in a generation. Every bit as good as something like Godfather (I or II). IN some respects it's better and just about as flawless and thought-provoking movie as any I've ever seen - especially in the context of Clint Eastwood looking back over his years and gun-totting and random shooting of all the "bad guys".

Would have made his perfect Swan Song if he hadn't gone on to make Invictus etc (which I haven't seen yet either).

X

[b]MrX Heroes: MrX Lvl 50 warshade. | MIND0R Lvl 50 mind/emp troll | The-Messenger Lvl 50 BS/regen scrap | Covert Lvl 42 kin/pys def | .Relic Lvl 42 illu/emp troll | Havoc Lvl 42 kin/elec def | The-Elemental Lvl 39 storm/dark def | Unsung Lvl 38 dark/regen scrap | WRENCH Lvl 34 shield/wrench tank | The Watcher Lvl 15 earth/rad troller | Villains: FR0STBITE Lvl 50 ice/kin corr | Dark-X Lvl 47 dark/stone brute | N'Ice Lvl 42 ice/rad corr | Vortex Lvl 42 robotics/storm MM | ShadowBaby Lvl 41 claws/regen stalk | The Cloak Lvl 41 energy/energy stalk | Thang Lvl 39 robotics/FF MM | IonFist Lvl 34 energy/ninjitsu stalk | The Somnabulist Lvl 33 dark/nec MM | Mr Kripplin Lvl 32 rad/rad corr | M0RBIUS Lvl 20 necro/poison MM | The Infrigidator Lvl 20 ice/cold corr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:02 am 
The Little Manic

I am glad we agree here, X. Yes, "Gran Torino" is as good as it gets and it perfectly shows the genius that is Clint Eastwood.

Have to say I do not like the idea of swansong here, my hope is that the old man still has some excellent films in him. Although I am not much of a football fan, I will probably have to go and watch Invictus ...

Zos

Zoser (main), ElectroCute, CopyCatz, Fire.Fly, PaintItBlack, Kid Aurora, LittleJoe, Zoserino, Star.Born, Starchild, and Lightning.Strike

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:32 am 

It's about rugby Zos. :D

[b]MrX Heroes: MrX Lvl 50 warshade. | MIND0R Lvl 50 mind/emp troll | The-Messenger Lvl 50 BS/regen scrap | Covert Lvl 42 kin/pys def | .Relic Lvl 42 illu/emp troll | Havoc Lvl 42 kin/elec def | The-Elemental Lvl 39 storm/dark def | Unsung Lvl 38 dark/regen scrap | WRENCH Lvl 34 shield/wrench tank | The Watcher Lvl 15 earth/rad troller | Villains: FR0STBITE Lvl 50 ice/kin corr | Dark-X Lvl 47 dark/stone brute | N'Ice Lvl 42 ice/rad corr | Vortex Lvl 42 robotics/storm MM | ShadowBaby Lvl 41 claws/regen stalk | The Cloak Lvl 41 energy/energy stalk | Thang Lvl 39 robotics/FF MM | IonFist Lvl 34 energy/ninjitsu stalk | The Somnabulist Lvl 33 dark/nec MM | Mr Kripplin Lvl 32 rad/rad corr | M0RBIUS Lvl 20 necro/poison MM | The Infrigidator Lvl 20 ice/cold corr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:50 am 
The Little Manic

Oh, is that the game with the flattened ball? O.o

;) Zos

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:15 am 

It's the game played by real heros. Not mega-twat oversexed, over-paid, mentally challenged wife-cheaters. X

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:40 pm 
Professor

I suspect you can find those in the world of rugby too X... although not the pretty boys, at least not for long :wink:

Official Chiefette Translator
----------------------------------
Intrepids
LOx lvl27 Tanker
Synaptic Pulse lvl25 Defender

Legends
Ebon Hawk (Claws/Regen Scrapper)
Girl Fusion (Empathy/Rad Blast Defender)
Zenobia Blade (Broadsword/Shield/Blaze Scrapper)
Pyrokyne (Fire/Kin/Mu Corruptor)
Blaize of Glory (Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster)
Silver Falcon (Tri-form Peacebringer)
Second Sun (Fire/Rad Controller)

Institution
Bitter Blizzard lvl 50 Corruptor
Taze lvl 17 Brute

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:16 pm 

True. Except for the money bit. They do it for the love of the game. :wink: