THE INTREPIDS & THE INSTITUTION WEBPAGE

It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Make "Public Enemies" your friend! :)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:19 am 
The Little Manic

Hi,

Yesterday I went to see Michael Mann's latest masterpiece "Public Enemies" - and I was not overly enthusiastic to go, as the trailer seemed to indicate a certain glorification of John Dillinger.

Boy, was I wrong. The film works without pathos, false sentimentality or simplistic black-and-white stereotypes - and it flies by. It is so refreshing to see a director these days who doesn't confuse explosions with plot, who lets the characters take centre stage and who simply wants to tell a good story.

All the actors in the film are fantastic, from Johnny Depp and Christian Bale down to the last extra, were well-cast and well-directed. Someone should give this as homework a certain hack of a "director", who seems to think that actors are just a necessary evil since one big explosion from beginning to end would even with today's technology be too pricey!

But I digress. "Public Enemies" is set in Chicago during the great depression and it follows the exploits of John Dillinger, one of the last bank robbers of the so-called "Golden Age". Charming, cocky, witty and gutsy - and (so the legend goes) always refusing to take the ordinary people's money, Dillinger became an increasing problem for the elite.
J. Edgar Hoover (brilliantly portrayed by Billy Crudup), director of the FBI is pushing for the legislation to be changed, so that major crimes could be investigated all across the US. He temporarily suspends civil rights because the whole country is under threat - that should sound familiar ...

This film is thrilling, sad, funny in parts, but above all it is intelligent and treats its audience as adults.

Go and see it, Zoser says! :)

9 out of 10

Level 50s in CoH - @zoser
Zoser (main), ElectroCute, CopyCatz, Fire.Fly, PaintItBlack, Kid Aurora, LittleJoe, Zoserino, Star.Born, Starchild, and Lightning.Strike

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)