THE INTREPIDS & THE INSTITUTION WEBPAGE

It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Matrix with fangs and a side order of gore ... (Daybreakers)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:50 am 
The Little Manic

Hi y'all,

Yesterday I watched Daybreakers and I am sorry to say that they have done very little with a concept I actually found quite original.

Plot, taken from IMDB:
"In the year 2019, a plague has transformed most every human into vampires. Faced with a dwindling blood supply, the fractured dominant race plots their survival; meanwhile, a researcher works with a covert band of vamps on a way to save humankind."

Considering that the film stars three known capable actors, the gentlemen Willem Dafoe, Sam Neil and Ethan Hawke, and the interesting idea, I was hoping for something fun.

Unfortunately I got a rather poorly executed Matrix rehash with a lot of unnecessary gore - severed heads flying all over the place and litres upon litres of artificial blood are poured out.

The film is just about entertaining enough to be watch-able, but nothing more - a straight 5 out of 10 here. And this only because Dafoe and Neil portrait two really interesting characters.

What I hated most about the film (highlight to read the spoilers):
1) The batty vampire-mutants
2) The safe cure for Vampirism is the blood of a Vampire that has been exposed to the sun without dying
3) Vampires explode like hand-grenades

You can watch it, but you won't miss a thing if you don't - better watch the original Matrix again! :)

Zos

Level 50s in CoH - @zoser
Zoser (main), ElectroCute, CopyCatz, Fire.Fly, PaintItBlack, Kid Aurora, LittleJoe, Zoserino, Star.Born, Starchild, and Lightning.Strike

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

Post subject: Re: Matrix with fangs and a side order of gore ... (Daybreakers)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:44 am 
SG Costume Kitty
 WWW  Profile

I quite liked Daybreakers. It was a different twist on the vampire genre.
The funny thing about it was that the main character was that his name was Edward. He wants nothing more than to be human, and hates being a vampire, drinks animal blood..... Twilight Much?

However it was from Lionsgate horror, so I expected the exploding humans/vampires bit! (They did make SAW after all).
The only bit I did not expect was the exploding man, and the start bit. Spoiler ;):Sitting happily getting comfy in my cinema seat and BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Bat screams past the screen...

City of Heroes 50's
Catz [Tanker], Blazeix [Brute], White Fox [Triform Peacebringer]
Champions Online
Catz [37 Might/Sorcery], Deus [15 Power Armour/Munitions]

World of Warcraft
Avalei [85 Frost Death Knight] [Server: Defias Brotherhood],Ahlorian [85 Protection Paladin], Ayrn [83 Frost Deathknight], Avali [85 Fury Warrior] [Server: Argent Dawn]
DC Universe
Catz [14 Ice/Brawling Tank]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:26 pm 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

Yes i think Zos failed to do his movie home work for this one especially as the film has taglines of The Matrix meets 28 days later which pretty much suggests a matrix vibe and blood lots and lots of blood :P

As to the explosive deaths dose it really come as a suprise vampires dont just have a quick gasp a thrash about and the die any more now they either go out in a mini new years celebration (personaly i blame buffy)

Any ways provided everything go's as planned ill see this on Wednesday night :D

Angus(1), Mr Meccano(9), Hard Target(5), Big Zero(18), Anubis(9), Dummy(1)

CoH Globals: @MESS or @TRASH
Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians
Tainted Mess (50) Brute, TRASH (50) Brute, Magmite (50) Brute, Smelt Furnace (50) Brute

The rest of my Alts

Twitter (don't expect me to update it)

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:11 pm 
The Little Manic

I am well aware of the tagline - having read it myself when I was in the cinema - but there is a difference between having a "Matrix-vibe" and re-hashing the very same plot for a cheap cash-in.

As for the explosions - in Buffyverse Vampires dust, that is true - but in this one they go off like explosives. I was tempted to check if Michael Bay did this one - it certainly looks like one of his wet dreams. :twisted:

Zos

Zoser (main), ElectroCute, CopyCatz, Fire.Fly, PaintItBlack, Kid Aurora, LittleJoe, Zoserino, Star.Born, Starchild, and Lightning.Strike

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:31 pm 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

Zoser wrote:
I am well aware of the tagline - having read it myself when I was in the cinema - but there is a difference between having a "Matrix-vibe" and re-hashing the very same plot for a cheap cash-in.

see now you've failed hollywood pop corn flick making 101 :D

I imagin brainstorming it went something like this

"Wee need a film that will make us loads of cash"
"Ok whats popular"
"well vampires are hot this session"
"Ok vampires is is now wee need a plot"
"we've not done matrix for a few years"
"Matrix + Vampires it is"

A quick spin thrugh the Monkey typewriter 2000 and Daybrakers was born :D

Quote:
As for the explosions - in Buffyverse Vampires dust, that is true - but in this one they go off like explosives. I was tempted to check if Michael Bay did this one - it certainly looks like one of his wet dreams. :twisted:

Zos

Its kinda ironic really that the vampire deaths in buffy were a result of them not wanting it to be to gory and it saved the need for cleaning up (compared to the likes of hammer horror) but of course every one now knows that vampires must react violently to what ever the film makers deams there weakness so there all playing a game of one up man-ship as to who can get the most ridicules vampire death.

Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians
Tainted Mess (50) Brute, TRASH (50) Brute, Magmite (50) Brute, Smelt Furnace (50) Brute

The rest of my Alts

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:58 am 
The Little Manic

I am just disappointed since the film had a great basic idea with Vampires actually running the planet and casting Willem Dafoe as well as Sam Neil. So it could (should!) have been brilliant instead of mediocre.

Zos

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:54 am 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

Zoser wrote:
So it could (should!) have been brilliant instead of mediocre.

Zos

So true for so many films :(

Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians

The rest of my Alts

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:22 am 
The Little Manic

Well, I am curious what you will think about it - weren't you planning on seeing it this week? :)

I for one am looking forward to other films this year ... it could become a good one.

Zos

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:29 am 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

will be seeing it tomorrow night provided there's not something more tempting on when we get there

Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians

The rest of my Alts

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:18 am 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

Well i did see this Wednesday so I can now give my proper opinions on it.

First up let me say as a general pop corn muncher it was great nice number of explosions good amount of action etc i had a nice opening and the city had a great blade runner vibe going.

but (there's always a but)

fist up it was stated that a plague caused the transformation of most of the human population into vamps yet the majority of characters we saw if not all of them had neck bite scars which to me at least suggested they were turned as I cant imagine that any normal bat would go munching a chunk out a persons neck.

The matrix comparisons seem to come primerly from the blood farming facility other than that i didn't see and matrix vibe (I'm not counting the small group of humans fighting for freedom because thats such a general plot) also i failed to see the 28 days later theme as well.

another thing that bugged me was that they seemed unwilling to decide if the vampiresim was something biological or supernatural in origin and while its possible to have both (look at blade) the fact that he was invisible in the car mirror but showed up on camera just really annoyed me

The humans that escaped to the cabin why were they killed? ican understand why the senitor was killed he was a traitor but they were desperate for humans to farm yet they killed a load of them?

finally the ending WTF happened there? they had the cure they had a means to distribute it (the blood substitute) no one new that they had effectively bumped of the boss guy there freind's were presumably locked up in the farming facility yet they decided to jump in the car and zoom off into the sunrise i say again WTF it played out like the end of a TV pilot (a bad one at that)

Ok I lied that wasn't finally :D another thing that semi bugged me there apparent shortage of human blood or other blood for that matter (i assume Edward drank a animal substitute possibly pig going by what his brother said) even assuming a large number of animals had been turned as well there was clearly some alive did it occur to any one to clone the bloody things? I mean even setting aside human cloning they've been cloning animals for years and they can do pigs it strikes me as far easyer solution than what they were trying.

oh and Dafoe was great plenty of great one liners as for Neil well i always get the impression he plays the same character in different clothes so he was the same as always.

Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians

The rest of my Alts

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:05 pm 
The Little Manic

I cannot really disagree with you on any of these points, so we won't have a repeat of Zoser vs. The MESS this time. ;)

Plus this flick is simply not important enough to say much about it - will be forgotten next year, just like many others in the past.

Zos

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:02 pm 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

Zoser wrote:
will be forgotten next year, just like many others in the past.

Zos

I disagree :P

next year it'll be doing the rounds on Sci-Fi where it should probably have started in the first place :D

Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians

The rest of my Alts

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:06 pm 
The Little Manic

OK, two years then! :D

Zos

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)