THE INTREPIDS & THE INSTITUTION WEBPAGE

It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Thunderlicious! Marvel Studio's Thor strikes.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:36 am 
The Little Manic

When I went to the first pre-screening of "Thor", I had very high expectations, even though I am not a real fan of the titular character. But I am and have been a fan of Mr. Kenneth Branagh both as an actor and even more so as a director ever since I first saw his amazing "Henry V". Rarely has a director been better at mixing epic battles with 'real' living and breathing characters through which you experience these (in some cases) earth-shattering events and for which you care deeply, if you let yourself.

And after seeing this latest work of the master of epic, I have to say that he has lost none of the magic that he showed in his other works over the years. He managed to breathe life into the iconic and mostly larger-than-life characters that populate Asgard, Jotunheim and Midgard (aka Earth). Without losing touch to the source and tongue firmly kept in cheek, Brannagh went to work aside a stellar cast of actors to have Thor, Odin, Loki, Sif, the Warriors Three and many others become more than just one-dimensional icons.
The care they took with keeping the characters realistic holds true even more with the Master of Mischief, Loki himself. Rather than going down the well-trodden path of him simply being a bad apple who is EVIL because of his giant blood, they decided to give him a complex personality and make him someone I could understand and relate to and for whom I felt genuinely sorry towards the end.
But also each of the other people has his or her motivation, you can understand how they "tick" and why they act the way they did. And none other than JMS himself, the mastermind behind Babylon 5 and the recent Thor stories provided the script for this fireworks of myth-tery and action.

Offsetting all the drama and kickass action is a great sense of humour, there are a lot of funny scenes in there that had the entire audience in stitches. My absolute favourite is the scene of Thor in the pet store - it still makes me chuckle now that I am writing this. Probably people think I am weird now, but since the are correct there, I see no reason telling them otherwise. Anyway, lots of great laughs in the film as well.

The story, while not overly complex, moves well, it is engaging and has some interesting twists I for one did not see coming - and I personally liked that I could find only one tiny possible plot hole and even that can still be explained. This is not 'Inception', nor does it try to be - it is unapologetically a big action film, but one with heart and brains as well. It knows what it is and it does not take itself too seriously.

Just one sentence about the 3D - it is well implemented and looks cool, but it is absolutely not necessary. The 2D version is just as beautiful and engaging, so you can easily save the additional couple of pounds/euros without losing out.

For all these reasons, Thor is right up there with Iron Man as one of the best superhero flicks I have ever seen, even if neither of those two can quite match the genious that is "The Dark Knight." Zoser gives this a very well-deserved 9.5/10.

Level 50s in CoH - @zoser
Zoser (main), ElectroCute, CopyCatz, Fire.Fly, PaintItBlack, Kid Aurora, LittleJoe, Zoserino, Star.Born, Starchild, and Lightning.Strike

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

Post subject: Re: Thunderlicious! Marvel Studio's Thor strikes.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:01 am 

Nice Zos. From the trailers I didn't have any high hopes for that one - but look forward to that now.

X

[b]MrX Heroes: MrX Lvl 50 warshade. | MIND0R Lvl 50 mind/emp troll | The-Messenger Lvl 50 BS/regen scrap | Covert Lvl 42 kin/pys def | .Relic Lvl 42 illu/emp troll | Havoc Lvl 42 kin/elec def | The-Elemental Lvl 39 storm/dark def | Unsung Lvl 38 dark/regen scrap | WRENCH Lvl 34 shield/wrench tank | The Watcher Lvl 15 earth/rad troller | Villains: FR0STBITE Lvl 50 ice/kin corr | Dark-X Lvl 47 dark/stone brute | N'Ice Lvl 42 ice/rad corr | Vortex Lvl 42 robotics/storm MM | ShadowBaby Lvl 41 claws/regen stalk | The Cloak Lvl 41 energy/energy stalk | Thang Lvl 39 robotics/FF MM | IonFist Lvl 34 energy/ninjitsu stalk | The Somnabulist Lvl 33 dark/nec MM | Mr Kripplin Lvl 32 rad/rad corr | M0RBIUS Lvl 20 necro/poison MM | The Infrigidator Lvl 20 ice/cold corr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:33 am 
Site Admin

Same here, I thought it was just another blockbuster according to the trailers, but now I'm definitively gonna see it...

The Intrepids:
Blastor-Level 50 Energy/Fire/Electrical Blaster, Dr. Blast-Level 50 Robotics/Force Field/Mace Mastermind, Holy Blast-Level 50 Peacebringer, Blasting Spines-Level 50 Spines/Regeneration/Body Scrapper, Heatblast-Level 50 Invulnerability/Fiery/Pyre Tanker, Fire Blast-Level 50 Fire/Kinetics/Leviathan Corruptor, Thunder Steel-Level 50 Ninja/Ninjitsu/Mu Stalker, Israfel the Fallen-Level 50 Sonic/Thermal/Dark Corruptor, Blastor Ascended-Level 50 Psychic/Energy/Force Blaster, Fright-Level 50 Kinetic/Dark Armour/Energy Brute, Calibro-Level 50 Dual Pistols/Radiation/Power Corruptor, Nlidia-Level 50 Gravity/Storm/Ice Controller.

The Institution:
Admiral Blast-Level 50 Energy/Energy/Mace Brute, Darkest Blast-Level 50 Mind/Psionic/Leviathan Dominator, Arbiter Blast-Level 50 Crab/Mace Arachnos Soldier, Unmerciful Steel-Level 50 Dual Blades/Willpower/Soul Brute, Mind Blaster-Level 50 Dark Miasma/Psychic/Psychic Defender, Blastor Reborn-Level 50 Ice/Electric/Force Blaster, Superiora-Level 50 Invulnerability/Super Strength/Energy Tanker, Gaia Queen-Level 50 Plant/Empathy/Stone Controller, Shadow Seer-Level 50 Fortunata/Soul Arachnos Widow, Zamana-Level 50 Time/Beam Rifle Defender, Wild Raven-Level 50 Will Power/Street Justice/Energy Tanker, Nlador-Level 50 Titan/Fiery Brute.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:48 am 
The Little Manic

Great! And even if should not like it (which I do not believe), you can still enjoy making me feel guilty about making you watch it. ;)

Zos

Zoser (main), ElectroCute, CopyCatz, Fire.Fly, PaintItBlack, Kid Aurora, LittleJoe, Zoserino, Star.Born, Starchild, and Lightning.Strike

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:27 am 
Barbie Girl

i was already going to see this ,m8 of mine doesnt like movie theatres but i can still drag him along to things game or comic related ^^

seeing as this got the zose's thumbs up ,just all the more reason to go sooner ;)

besides action movies are ok,just seen the expendables and i realy liked it tbh ^^

Mess wrote:
"We need animal costumes"

Gravity is a harsh mistress

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:14 am 
The Little Manic

Glad my review seems to be helping. :)

And after watching it again and careful consideration, I have to say that it is even better than Iron Man, for the simple reason that its antagonist is a complex and tormented character that I could very well relate to, even if I did not want him to succeed.

This adds more complexity and drama and it does elevate this one noticably above the older film, Robert Downey Jr.s' genius nonwithstanding.

So Zos' personal and entirely subjective best superhero films ever list now reads:
1) The Dark Knight
2) Thor
3) Iron Man 1
4) Watchmen
5) Superman (the classic with Christopher Reeves) / X-Men 1 and 2
6) Iron Man 2
7) Spider-Man 1 and 2

And, just to attract some flames - the worst (big) superhero films:
1) Wolverine - Origins // Hulk (the one with the stupid hulked out poodle)
2) X-Men 3 and Spider-Man 3
3) Fantastic Four

Zos

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:42 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know, I really find DareDevil quite good, and fun to watch. It's like watching a comic book...

The Intrepids:
Blastor-Level 50 Energy/Fire/Electrical Blaster, Dr. Blast-Level 50 Robotics/Force Field/Mace Mastermind, Holy Blast-Level 50 Peacebringer, Blasting Spines-Level 50 Spines/Regeneration/Body Scrapper, Heatblast-Level 50 Invulnerability/Fiery/Pyre Tanker, Fire Blast-Level 50 Fire/Kinetics/Leviathan Corruptor, Thunder Steel-Level 50 Ninja/Ninjitsu/Mu Stalker, Israfel the Fallen-Level 50 Sonic/Thermal/Dark Corruptor, Blastor Ascended-Level 50 Psychic/Energy/Force Blaster, Fright-Level 50 Kinetic/Dark Armour/Energy Brute, Calibro-Level 50 Dual Pistols/Radiation/Power Corruptor, Nlidia-Level 50 Gravity/Storm/Ice Controller.

The Institution:
Admiral Blast-Level 50 Energy/Energy/Mace Brute, Darkest Blast-Level 50 Mind/Psionic/Leviathan Dominator, Arbiter Blast-Level 50 Crab/Mace Arachnos Soldier, Unmerciful Steel-Level 50 Dual Blades/Willpower/Soul Brute, Mind Blaster-Level 50 Dark Miasma/Psychic/Psychic Defender, Blastor Reborn-Level 50 Ice/Electric/Force Blaster, Superiora-Level 50 Invulnerability/Super Strength/Energy Tanker, Gaia Queen-Level 50 Plant/Empathy/Stone Controller, Shadow Seer-Level 50 Fortunata/Soul Arachnos Widow, Zamana-Level 50 Time/Beam Rifle Defender, Wild Raven-Level 50 Will Power/Street Justice/Energy Tanker, Nlador-Level 50 Titan/Fiery Brute.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:28 am 

Praise indeed Zos - thanks - but come on, what's happened to Watchmen and The Incredibles? Top 10ish for me would be:

1. The Dark Knight (probably)
2. Spider-Man 1 (possibly No 1 for me)
3. The Incredibles (a great, great movie)
4. Spider-Man 2 (from memory)
5. Watchmen
6. Batman Begins

And with your advise Zos:

7. Thor
8. Iron Man 1 (great movie but very poor and predictable ending)
9. Superman (I need to watch that again)
10. Iron Man 2 (I still haven't seen it)

I don't rate the X-Men movies at all. Absolutely hated Ian McKellen as Magneto. Great actor but completely wrong age, accent, mannerisms and acting style for one of Marvel's very best villains. The X-Men stories are also far too light-weight given the amazing source material the comic series has.

X

[b]MrX Heroes: MrX Lvl 50 warshade. | MIND0R Lvl 50 mind/emp troll | The-Messenger Lvl 50 BS/regen scrap | Covert Lvl 42 kin/pys def | .Relic Lvl 42 illu/emp troll | Havoc Lvl 42 kin/elec def | The-Elemental Lvl 39 storm/dark def | Unsung Lvl 38 dark/regen scrap | WRENCH Lvl 34 shield/wrench tank | The Watcher Lvl 15 earth/rad troller | Villains: FR0STBITE Lvl 50 ice/kin corr | Dark-X Lvl 47 dark/stone brute | N'Ice Lvl 42 ice/rad corr | Vortex Lvl 42 robotics/storm MM | ShadowBaby Lvl 41 claws/regen stalk | The Cloak Lvl 41 energy/energy stalk | Thang Lvl 39 robotics/FF MM | IonFist Lvl 34 energy/ninjitsu stalk | The Somnabulist Lvl 33 dark/nec MM | Mr Kripplin Lvl 32 rad/rad corr | M0RBIUS Lvl 20 necro/poison MM | The Infrigidator Lvl 20 ice/cold corr

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:40 am 

Actually, I just did a quick search after this, to check I'd missed any great movies. I have. Some interesting selections on here:

http://comicbooks.about.com/od/comicmov ... movies.htm

But really,

Sin City should at least be top 5 territory. Others have included "300" which is another great movie and based on a comic (of course) but perhaps should sit outside this list (somehow). And although fairly camp Tim Burton's original BatMan should really be in the top 10 somewhere. Perhaps I should also re-watch the original X-Men to see if Ian McKellen's performance is as wrecking as I remember. "Blade" also isn't that bad if you like that kind of story.

Top ten 'underrated comic book movies' list here is interesting as I've never seen either Punisher, Ghost Rider or Spawn:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... s/?a=16438

X

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:31 am 
The Little Manic

Hi X,

Interesting choices on your side and somehow I managed to forget Watchmen, will stuff it in right now. "300" or "Sin City" aren't strictly superhero films though, so I prefer leaving them out - otherwise it gets too cluttered. :)

Zos

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:45 am 

Zoser wrote:
Interesting choices on your side and somehow I managed to forget Watchmen, will stuff it in right now. "300" or "Sin City" aren't strictly superhero films though.

Oops. Didn't see that part of your post. I automatically thought 'comic book' instead of 'superhero'.

Can't wait to see Thor though. Can't quite imagine getting MrsX to go with that one yet though. :)

X

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:50 am 
The Little Manic

Tell her she gets to see Chris Helmsworth topless - and he could have easily been in 300 ... :D

Zos

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)