THE INTREPIDS & THE INSTITUTION WEBPAGE

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:31 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The "Stranger Tides" of boredom.
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:17 am 
The Little Manic

It is always tragic to see when a once great idea is used and used again until it is but a shadow of itself that is painful to watch. One such example is "Pirates of the Caribbean", which set out somehow fresh and new with an entertaining and fun - albeit hammy - story and memorable characters that you couldn't help but caring for, even though they weren't particularly complex.

After this furious start, the "Pirates" franchise descended into murky waters with the next two instalments where Pirates suddenly became the "Rebel Alliance" fighting against the evil "East India Company" empire under Emperor Palpatine ... ah no, actually it was some English bloke. Oh yes, and they were also part of some religious conspiracy guarding an Ancient Greek goddess - who now lived in a swamp raising the dead. Gone was the sense of fun and adventure and I was relieved when all seemed be over at the end of Pirates 3.

But now the Dead have risen ... and unfortunately this is not a good thing this time, as they left the fun behind.
Pirates 4 suffers from so many problems that it is difficult to list them all - but I shall try to highlight at least some of them - there be spoilers, but if you do not see the end coming from about 10 minutes into the film, you were probably already fast asleep by then.

1) The story lacks any sense of concise drama, internal logic or urgency.
2) This warrants mentioning on its own because it's stupidity simply boggles belief: a person who is supposed a fencing artisan cannot pull a sabre from a not moving person's chest without injuring a cut to the hand.
3) Probably the worst deus-ex-machina in film history: [Spoiler]Apparently they realized they had written themselves into a corner by the end and did not know how to deal with the Fountain of Youth. So they bring in the Spanish (not the Inquisition sadly, that would have been cool!) who declare this to be an offence to god and destroy it. Suuuure, the Spanish king did not crave immortality ...
4) Characters are shoe-horned in without even the attempt of a back story. The young lover for example is just the random Christian dude tied to the mast. I wish I was kidding. :(
5) The existing characters aren't given the chance to shine - apart from a great (but way too short) Keith Richards cameo and some brief moments where the real Jack Sparrow shimmered through the murk.
6) The acting varies between painfully hammy and plain bored - I honestly believe that Geoffrey Rush was planning his next good film while he laboriously plodded along the forgettable lines the script required him to say.
7) You simply do not care! Action simply happens gratuitously without rhyme or reason and you simply watch it happen.

This is simply a very bad film and I hope that there won't be another one! Go back and re-watch Pirates 1 on DVD or Blu-Ray, but do not waste 136 minutes of your life on this stinker.

3 out of 6 for some few and far between true Jack Sparrow moments.

Level 50s in CoH - @zoser
Zoser (main), ElectroCute, CopyCatz, Fire.Fly, PaintItBlack, Kid Aurora, LittleJoe, Zoserino, Star.Born, Starchild, and Lightning.Strike

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

Post subject: Re: The "Stranger Tides" of boredom.
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:05 pm 

Zoser wrote:
After this furious start, the "Pirates" franchise descended into murky waters with the next two instalments

but they are in the top 10 biggest grossing movies of all time... 8-[

Zoser wrote:
This is simply a very bad film and I hope that there won't be another one! Go back and re-watch Pirates 1 on DVD or Blu-Ray, but do not waste 136 minutes of your life on this stinker.

I really hope that the film is just full of mindless family fun entertainment like the others were. Probably not a great film to watch for the more serious movie goer but funny, mad and silly for us who enjoy a good light hearted pirate movie :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:12 am 
The Little Manic

Hi Betty,

Good seeing you on the boards again - hope it will also happen in CoH some time ... :)

Betty wrote:
but they are in the top 10 biggest grossing movies of all time... 8-[

Maybe, but I hated them all the same ... and this one is actually worse. :)

Betty wrote:
I really hope that the film is just full of mindless family fun entertainment like the others were. Probably not a great film to watch for the more serious movie goer but funny, mad and silly for us who enjoy a good light hearted pirate movie :mrgreen:

Actually I do not think that many people would consider me a serious movie goer and I really did not expect a great or profound experience. All I wanted was a remotely concise plot, some cool swashbuckling action, Depp being cool as Jack Sparrow ("There should be a 'captain' in there somewhere.") and Rush deliciously evil as Barbossa. Sadly there is very little of any of that to be found. I really hope you will enjoy it, but I would be surprised if you did. :)

Zos

Zoser (main), ElectroCute, CopyCatz, Fire.Fly, PaintItBlack, Kid Aurora, LittleJoe, Zoserino, Star.Born, Starchild, and Lightning.Strike

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:02 am 

Well Jasmine and i went to see it on Saturday :D

We both enjoyed the film, but we did think it was a bit too drawn out. We enjoyed the classic sword fights and silliness in the film but it was looooong. That wasn't helped by the fact that for some reason we were 'treated' to 40 minutes of adverts! I don't think i have ever sat through that many before and it was very annoying. The popcorn had depleted vastly by the time the film started!! As for the story and characters, well i didn't let them spoil it for me and Jasmine doesn't pick up on the finer points that Zoser mentioned even though they are true!

I hope they leave it there though. No more please!

Next...I expect it will be Harry Potter, can't wait!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:07 am 
Professor

Betty wrote:

Next...I expect it will be Harry Potter, can't wait!

Actually, I'm planning to go see Transformers 3 on Weds (yes, I really do mean to do that to myself) so I'll be posting thoughts on that for all to read (as I think it unlikely Zos will even grace that film with his presence)

Official Chiefette Translator
----------------------------------
Intrepids
LOx lvl27 Tanker
Synaptic Pulse lvl25 Defender

Legends
Ebon Hawk (Claws/Regen Scrapper)
Girl Fusion (Empathy/Rad Blast Defender)
Zenobia Blade (Broadsword/Shield/Blaze Scrapper)
Pyrokyne (Fire/Kin/Mu Corruptor)
Blaize of Glory (Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster)
Silver Falcon (Tri-form Peacebringer)
Second Sun (Fire/Rad Controller)

Institution
Bitter Blizzard lvl 50 Corruptor
Taze lvl 17 Brute

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:08 pm 
The Little Manic

Hiya,

Glad you had a good time - but I think it says a lot about the film if even you found it too long.
An interesting statistic here that shows that this film is actually the shortest of the franchise, it just feels to be the longest:
PotC3 - World's End: 169 min
PotC2 - Dead Man's Chest: 151 min
PotC1 - Black Pearl: 143 min
PotC4 - Stranger Tides: 136 min

As for T3, I don't know about gracing anything, but I have no plans on seeing it. :)
Plus this shouldn't be a Zoser only part of the forums - more reviews ... MORRRRE!

*g* Zos

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:49 am 

Oh wow that is interesting Zos. It definately felt like a long film!
As for Transformers, love them :D I saw the trailer for the new one when we went to the cinema and it looks great!
I just love the transformations, they blow me away. How do they do it so well!! :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:54 pm 
Barbie Girl

*remember's seeing pirates 2 in an empty imax along with zoser,ebon and healie*

Mess wrote:
"We need animal costumes"

Gravity is a harsh mistress