THE INTREPIDS & THE INSTITUTION WEBPAGE

It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Spoilers Assemble! (About Avengers ...)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:23 pm 
The Little Manic

Hi,

In this post I would like to talk a bit more about the latest Marvel Studios film "Avengers Assemble" and there will be spoilers, so if you have not seen the film yet, please read no further. You have been warned! :)

Being a card-carrying geek, I took Friday off work and set in the first 2D showing of the film I had been hoping (and dreading) to see for almost a decade. Desperately I had fought against having expectations after the excellent series of works coming out of the Marvel Studios - each of them brilliant with the exception of "Captain America", which was too formulaic and well-trodden for my tastes. So I was absolutely teeming with expectation and could hardly contain my excitement as the lights went down and the Marvel logo blazed on the screen.

The beginning I was not so impressed with, I could not really take the Chitauri seriously and only Lokis presence saved the scene somewhat. But then things were going uphill from there all the way from there to the end of the film. Slowly Lokis dastardly plan unfolded as Whedon carefully assembled Earth's mightiest heroes, always managing to keep funny and serious events in the balance and giving each hero room to breathe. Other than the X-Men films (which I loved, don't get me wrong), this was not "Wolverine plus some support". No, every single member of the team got the chance to shine - and shine they did!

We saw our heroes quarrel and fight each other, sometimes thanks to Lokis machinations, sometimes just because of a simple clash of egos and we witnessed them slowly growing into a pwerful team that he should not have messed with. And then Whedon pulls out all the stops and unleashes the most engaging, riveting, breath-taking battle for Manhattan the world has ever seen. All of us have seen New York destroyed over and over again, but never before have we cared so much and watched in horror and fascination as a seemingly unstoppable force of aliens attacked and wrecked the place.

And between us and them, there was this small and forlorn group of heroes - hopelessly outnumbered yet fighting on, never giving up hope or the fight. What struck me that other than lesser 'directors' like Bay, Whedon understands that the audience only invests in what is going on when there are people we care about at stake. Therefore he keeps showing us the people the Avengers are fighting for - up close and personal - in some cases we follow their mini story from the moment the battle starts all the way to the aftermath. And we see the Avengers not just fighting but SAVING PEOPLE. And we see them getting hurt, getting knocked down and then rise again - heroes as they should be!

For me, this is (with the possible exception of "The Dark Knight") the best superhero and even the best disaster action film ever made - it wins on every level with an engaging plot, flawless performances from all actors involved, an amazing villain, breath-taking special effects, great one-liners, a perfect mix of drama and humour and ... well, lots and lots of love. Every frame shows you that this was made by people who love the Avengers, who grew up reading the comic books and who want to tell the story the best way possible. Geeks like us.

Even if it is a bummer ending on a sad note, I must pay homage here to one of my favourite characters in the recent films: Agent Phil Coulson. I know of course that Whedon is not afraid to kill off well-loved and established characters, but the way he made this constant companion of every single Marvel move even more cool and likeable before he died at Lokis hands totally took me aback. The death was played beautifully, it was logical, free of cheese and pathos ... and it felt like a punch to the gut. I at least had the feeling that one of the main characters had had died - and in a way this is true, as he had more screen time so far than for example Black Widow or Hawkeye. Phil, we will miss you!

A very clear 10 out of 10!
Zos

Level 50s in CoH - @zoser
Zoser (main), ElectroCute, CopyCatz, Fire.Fly, PaintItBlack, Kid Aurora, LittleJoe, Zoserino, Star.Born, Starchild, and Lightning.Strike

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

Post subject: Re: Spoilers Assemble! (About Avengers ...)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:44 am 

Well said! I really can't summarise it better myself. What you have said is how I felt. I was extremely excited about watching the film and I was grinning stupidly as soon as it started! The great one-liners and intense action were mixed to perfection.

Some of the best bits for me were... the cool way that Iron Man suited up in mid air. The Hulk smashing Thor and also when the Hulk roars and brings Iron Man out of concussion...lol makes me chuckle now. Hawkeye dropping off the building and shooting his grappling arrow...how cool?!!
Captain America shielding Black Widow from the huge devastating machine (would love to have that as a desktop wallpaper) what a Hero!

Verdict : Simply brilliant.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:56 am 
Professor

Excellent summary Zos and Betty. It's a fantastic film and the care which was taken with the Avengers brand/team really shows the affection and deep respect that Whedon had for the source material and for the audience.

Zos, I suspect you aren't going to like this (bar the obvious knowing you'll see him again) but I strongly suspected that Agent Coulson wasn't actually dead... And apparently it's been confirmed by Whedon himself that this is indeed the case. I'm sure google can point you at the reference.

I don't mind myself... He's such a cool character it would have been a real loss to the marvel franchise to kill him, plus it's perfectly in keepin with how Nick Fury manipulates in any way he needs to in order to get the results he wants... So its internally consistent :-)

Official Chiefette Translator
----------------------------------
Intrepids
LOx lvl27 Tanker
Synaptic Pulse lvl25 Defender

Legends
Ebon Hawk (Claws/Regen Scrapper)
Girl Fusion (Empathy/Rad Blast Defender)
Zenobia Blade (Broadsword/Shield/Blaze Scrapper)
Pyrokyne (Fire/Kin/Mu Corruptor)
Blaize of Glory (Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster)
Silver Falcon (Tri-form Peacebringer)
Second Sun (Fire/Rad Controller)

Institution
Bitter Blizzard lvl 50 Corruptor
Taze lvl 17 Brute

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:40 am 
The Little Manic

I would actually love having Coulson come back - he is one of my favourite characters from the films. And now that you mention it, they did not show him die, he just stopped talking and then Fury stepped back when the medics team arrived. Everything else is off camera - you never hear the doc calling it.

Wow, now I am actually even more eager to see if he will really come back! On the other hand, the Marvel Movies still shows him as deceased ... we will have to wait, I guess.

My favourite scenes?
- The Shield Helicarrier taking off for the first time (I almost squealed) and Cap handing over the 10 bucks.
- Hulk knocking Thor off screen.
- Hulk smashing Loki and deadpanning: "Puny God!"
- Black Widow tricking Loki.
- Tony Stark stalling Loki.
- Iron Man's first entrance.
- The battle for Manhattan!

I think I have to stop now, lest I mention most of the film ... :D

Zos

Zoser (main), ElectroCute, CopyCatz, Fire.Fly, PaintItBlack, Kid Aurora, LittleJoe, Zoserino, Star.Born, Starchild, and Lightning.Strike

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:19 pm 

Well all i am going to add is....

“I thought his first name was Agent” :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:36 pm 
Professor

I'll just throw this into the mix...

http://www.craveonline.com/film/article ... 3-and-more

It's an interview from back in Sept 2011, with Clark Gregg (plays Agent Coulson) where he says he's in talks to be in Iron Man 3 and that Whedon told him not to worry as he wasn't going to kill him off...

Not gospel, but I'd not be at all surprised if it turned out to all be a play by Fury

Official Chiefette Translator
----------------------------------
Intrepids
LOx lvl27 Tanker
Synaptic Pulse lvl25 Defender

Legends
Ebon Hawk (Claws/Regen Scrapper)
Girl Fusion (Empathy/Rad Blast Defender)
Zenobia Blade (Broadsword/Shield/Blaze Scrapper)
Pyrokyne (Fire/Kin/Mu Corruptor)
Blaize of Glory (Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster)
Silver Falcon (Tri-form Peacebringer)
Second Sun (Fire/Rad Controller)

Institution
Bitter Blizzard lvl 50 Corruptor
Taze lvl 17 Brute

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:13 pm 
The Little Manic

Another one that still cracks me up:
Thor: Loki may be beyond reason but he's my brother.
BW: He's killed 80 people in 2 days.
Thor: He's adopted.

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:43 am 

lmao yes!!! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 7:49 am 
The Little Manic

Hey,

Even though I am the first to admit that great takings at the box office does not necessarily mean a great film (*cough* Twilight *cough*), it is great to see that the "Avengers" is smashing records as it goes!

Maybe the big studios will finally realize that they should give this excellent director more work in the future! :D

Zos

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:36 pm 
 WWW  Profile

seriously the best movie I have ever watched in my life!!

When hulk completely destroyed Loki and left him like a swatted fly I Laughed my ass off for like five minutes!

"Steve Rogers: Big man in a suit of armour. Take that off, what are you?
Tony Stark: Genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist"

Supes' 50 Family:

Super Electrode - Blaster
Warrior Electrode - Scrapper
Electrode Storm - Controller
Captain liberty Jr - Tank
Captain Snowspeed - Defender
Fallout Electrode - Corrupter
Ninja Electrode - Stalker

-------------------------------------------------
Holy Electrified Furballs!!!
Go Super Team Electrode!!!

--------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------
@Electrode

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:24 am 
Site Admin

I finally went to see the movie yesterday and I agree with everything you all said about it; The Avengers is the best superhero movie so far and it brought Daredevil down to the second place in my top 5 list.

However, there is one thing which kinda made me uncomfortable during the movie (hey, I have to oppose the general idea at some point, otherwise, you all would be shocked if I didn't ). I noticed that each hero received a huge buff compared with their individual movies. For instance:

Case 1 (Thor vs Ironman):
Ironman wouldn't stand a chance against Thor who, and we see this during the fight, can crush his armour with his bare hands. But he can stand against hammer attacks, and we also see that Thor is a buffer, overcharging Ironman's energy levels with his lightning attack, good tactic for future fights .

Case 2 (Thor vs Captain America):
No matter how strong Captain America is, within enhanced human attributes, or no matter how inpenetrable his shield is, he should be pulverised after Thor's final hammer attack, which destroys the entire forest within 50m radius.

Case 3 (The Hulk vs Thor):
During their fight Hulk cannot pull Thor's hammer up from the floor where it stuck, however, he's got the strength to pull it up with the floor

Case 4 (The Hulk vs Black Widow):
She's got no armour at all and no superpowers, just a simple body suit and Super Reflexes with ED. Hulk, after a long chase, manages to hit her once and she flies in the air 20 meters, hitting the wall at the end. She should die there instantly, but I'll settle with 4-5 broken bones, but nothing happens to her

Case 5 (Ironman vs Gigantic Fan Engine):
There's no way he could survive it in one piece.

I'd be ok if this was the first movie I saw about them, however, thinking about the enemies in their individual movies, which wouldn't compare with the ones they faced in this one, I cannot help thinking that they kinda struggled more against them ...

The Intrepids:
Blastor-Level 50 Energy/Fire/Electrical Blaster, Dr. Blast-Level 50 Robotics/Force Field/Mace Mastermind, Holy Blast-Level 50 Peacebringer, Blasting Spines-Level 50 Spines/Regeneration/Body Scrapper, Heatblast-Level 50 Invulnerability/Fiery/Pyre Tanker, Fire Blast-Level 50 Fire/Kinetics/Leviathan Corruptor, Thunder Steel-Level 50 Ninja/Ninjitsu/Mu Stalker, Israfel the Fallen-Level 50 Sonic/Thermal/Dark Corruptor, Blastor Ascended-Level 50 Psychic/Energy/Force Blaster, Fright-Level 50 Kinetic/Dark Armour/Energy Brute, Calibro-Level 50 Dual Pistols/Radiation/Power Corruptor, Nlidia-Level 50 Gravity/Storm/Ice Controller.

The Institution:
Admiral Blast-Level 50 Energy/Energy/Mace Brute, Darkest Blast-Level 50 Mind/Psionic/Leviathan Dominator, Arbiter Blast-Level 50 Crab/Mace Arachnos Soldier, Unmerciful Steel-Level 50 Dual Blades/Willpower/Soul Brute, Mind Blaster-Level 50 Dark Miasma/Psychic/Psychic Defender, Blastor Reborn-Level 50 Ice/Electric/Force Blaster, Superiora-Level 50 Invulnerability/Super Strength/Energy Tanker, Gaia Queen-Level 50 Plant/Empathy/Stone Controller, Shadow Seer-Level 50 Fortunata/Soul Arachnos Widow, Zamana-Level 50 Time/Beam Rifle Defender, Wild Raven-Level 50 Will Power/Street Justice/Energy Tanker, Nlador-Level 50 Titan/Fiery Brute.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:41 am 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

from a compleat geeky standpoint

Quote:
Case 1 (Thor vs Ironman):
Ironman wouldn't stand a chance against Thor who, and we see this during the fight, can crush his armour with his bare hands. But he can stand against hammer attacks, and we also see that Thor is a buffer, overcharging Ironman's energy levels with his lightning attack, good tactic for future fights .

Perhaps though flip that around Thor may be a god but he's not immortal nor invulnerable Iron man can peirce the armour of a tank those repulsor blasts should have removed skin at the very least I think its probably a case of comic book physics

Quote:
Case 2 (Thor vs Captain America):
No matter how strong Captain America is, within enhanced human attributes, or no matter how inpenetrable his shield is, he should be pulverised after Thor's final hammer attack, which destroys the entire forest within 50m radius.

Well he's captain america for one who interestingly is one of the few "mortals" who can lift and wield thors hammer also perhaps the nature of caps sheild deflects the energy so instead of being directed downwards (and pulping the good cap) its deflected to the sides destroying the forest? just a thought.

Quote:
Case 3 (The Hulk vs Thor):
During their fight Hulk cannot pull Thor's hammer up from the floor where it stuck, however, he's got the strength to pull it up with the floor

Thors hammer is enchanted with something along the lines of "no living being may lift the hammer unless deemed worthy" so hulk cant lift the hammer he could lift the floor and hammer though as technically he's lifting the floor and not the hammer

Quote:
Case 4 (The Hulk vs Black Widow):
She's got no armour at all and no superpowers, just a simple body suit and Super Reflexes with ED. Hulk, after a long chase, manages to hit her once and she flies in the air 20 meters, hitting the wall at the end. She should die there instantly, but I'll settle with 4-5 broken bones, but nothing happens to her

true but then its black widow hardly a great film if she spends it layed up in the med bay pluss well she's a ex Russian superspy (or she is in teh comics) god only knows what crazynes she could be outfitted with.

Quote:
Case 5 (Ironman vs Gigantic Fan Engine):
There's no way he could survive it in one piece.

Pfft he's iron man need more be said?

Quote:
I'd be ok if this was the first movie I saw about them, however, thinking about the enemies in their individual movies, which wouldn't compare with the ones they faced in this one, I cannot help thinking that they kinda struggled more against them ...

Upgrades do wunders and to be fair they mostly faced foot slogers the aliens were probably no more dangerous than the automated armours iron man faced in IM3 or the tech enhanced solderers that cap faced in ww2 and well thor faced down the destroyer armour (its way worse than any random red shirt bad guy) in his own film. and well the hulks the hulk he started out the film by picking a fight with a god (and he was so winning) then opened the main fight by punching out a giant robot dragon thing in terms of raw strength and power the bad guys had nothing to counter the mean green wrecking machine which I suspect is why Loki tryed to get rid of him early on.

Also keeping mind the avengers regardless of the team make up has always traditionally been stronger as a team than they were individually.

Now bring on no2 which will hopefully have Thanos in it and we can see a proper avengers Vs horrendous odds fight

P.s
I remember why I don't come here any more now

Angus(1), Mr Meccano(9), Hard Target(5), Big Zero(18), Anubis(9), Dummy(1)

CoH Globals: @MESS or @TRASH
Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians
Tainted Mess (50) Brute, TRASH (50) Brute, Magmite (50) Brute, Smelt Furnace (50) Brute

The rest of my Alts

Twitter (don't expect me to update it)

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!