THE INTREPIDS & THE INSTITUTION WEBPAGE

It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Are there any Intrepids in the Secret World?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:58 pm 
The Little Manic

Hi guys,

Just bought the game myself and was wondering if anyone else has started playing the Secret World MMO?
If so, on which server - I have decided on Arcadia myself, but apparently you can somehow team across servers ...

Zos

Level 50s in CoH - @zoser
Zoser (main), ElectroCute, CopyCatz, Fire.Fly, PaintItBlack, Kid Aurora, LittleJoe, Zoserino, Star.Born, Starchild, and Lightning.Strike

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

Post subject: Re: Are there any Intrepids in the Secret World?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:53 pm 
Professor

I wasn't going to.
Not really got enough time for yet another MMO right now (barely had any game time at all for the last week or more with moving house, plus with my PS3 blowing up so I had to get a new one I have a whole heap of replay action waiting for me there)
I know X wasn't amazingly impressed with it after pre-order beta testing, although I've heard good things about at least the early stages of the game.

Official Chiefette Translator
----------------------------------
Intrepids
LOx lvl27 Tanker
Synaptic Pulse lvl25 Defender

Legends
Ebon Hawk (Claws/Regen Scrapper)
Girl Fusion (Empathy/Rad Blast Defender)
Zenobia Blade (Broadsword/Shield/Blaze Scrapper)
Pyrokyne (Fire/Kin/Mu Corruptor)
Blaize of Glory (Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster)
Silver Falcon (Tri-form Peacebringer)
Second Sun (Fire/Rad Controller)

Institution
Bitter Blizzard lvl 50 Corruptor
Taze lvl 17 Brute

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:48 am 
The Little Manic

Hi Ebon,

Sorry to hear about your PS3, that really sucks! :(

As for Secret World, I can safely say that it is the best game that I have bought in years - there is really no doubt in my mind about that. In terms of immersion it is easily on the same level as ME2, even though it does not have the same dialogue options of course.

What really blew me away was - next to the amazing look - the amazing design of the world and this does not stop with the game itself. Let me explain this better. They do have a number of the "Kill X of monster Y" quests of course, but they don't quite feel as grindy also because if you actually need something to drop so many times, each mob will drop it. I had 1 quest of this type in 3 long days of gaming, so it is rare.

Where the game really shines though is in the investigation quests - here it is simply unmatched! And they are not kidding around - unless you are using walkthroughs, you really have to think and investigate. These quests are not part of the main story line, so you can choose to ignore them, but I think they are the best part of the game.

Just one example to illustrate:
- I was told that a black van had an accident and that the people inside were doing something shifty before.
- I went there and found the van and inside a laptop I tried to access.
- It asked me for a password and gave - when asked - the hint "My wife's name".
- [Fun fact: to the best of my knowledge, the name cannot be found anywhere in the game! *g*]
- I looked around and found two corpses, one male and one female.
- On the male I found an ID card for Orochi Group with his name.
- I launched the in game browser (which is a real browser going to the actual internet).
- When googling the company name, I found that Funcom has created a 'real' website for this fictitious corporation (http://orochi-group.com).
- I pulled up the employee finder and typed in the dead guy's name.
- The website gave me back his location and the name of his wife.
- After typing this, I had access to the data I needed.

Then I had to take a quick break to marvel at the level of love and attention to detail they have invested into this game - I have not seen its equal in 20 years of gaming! Shortly after that I bought the lifetime sub for the game and I have not regretted it for a moment!

Zos
- gives Secret World a 10 out of 10 -

Zoser (main), ElectroCute, CopyCatz, Fire.Fly, PaintItBlack, Kid Aurora, LittleJoe, Zoserino, Star.Born, Starchild, and Lightning.Strike

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:26 pm 

Will be trying it out this weekend with the free-to-play offer they threw out to celebrate their first month. I'll be heading to the Daemon server as thats where the United Kingdoms contingent is playing TSW. Don't know which server you're on Zos?

If it seems any good, may pick up a subscription for it, as cancelled my CoX one again. Not sure I'd cough up two hundred quid in one go though for a lifetime one :)

Villainous schemes devised by Arctic Annie (50 Dominator), Commander Kestra (50 Mastermind), H-Bombette (50 Corruptor), Madam Morgue (50 Stalker), Mindtrip (50 Dominator) and Supa Dupa Troll (50 Brute)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:37 pm 
The Little Manic

Hi Mini,

Sorry, I should have written this better in my first post, I actually joined the RP server Arcadia. :)

Zos

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:39 pm 

Hi Zos/guys,

On this one, I actually bought the game but sent it back after playing it for a few hours. It doesn't look liek I got far enough, or I had some settings wrong, or the game you got is completely different to the beta I tried Zos. What I completely hated about this game is on my rushed appraisal:

1. The graphics looked really third-rate to me. Scrathy, scrawny, weird perspectives, the works.
2. The game looked and played like a multiplayer-mode on some average, old first person shooter.
3. All the initial challenges seemed very 'go here and shoot the shit out of these guys'.

I was looking forward to some really interesting takes, stories and abilities around the 'ancient mysteries' I supposed the game lore was built on - but after not finding even a sniff of it after an hour, I bailed, deleted it and cancelled the order.

Zos, unless you swear on your mother's life that I completely missed some amazing aspects of the game and had a peculiar graphics bug running, I won't be touching this again with a barge-poll.

X

[b]MrX Heroes: MrX Lvl 50 warshade. | MIND0R Lvl 50 mind/emp troll | The-Messenger Lvl 50 BS/regen scrap | Covert Lvl 42 kin/pys def | .Relic Lvl 42 illu/emp troll | Havoc Lvl 42 kin/elec def | The-Elemental Lvl 39 storm/dark def | Unsung Lvl 38 dark/regen scrap | WRENCH Lvl 34 shield/wrench tank | The Watcher Lvl 15 earth/rad troller | Villains: FR0STBITE Lvl 50 ice/kin corr | Dark-X Lvl 47 dark/stone brute | N'Ice Lvl 42 ice/rad corr | Vortex Lvl 42 robotics/storm MM | ShadowBaby Lvl 41 claws/regen stalk | The Cloak Lvl 41 energy/energy stalk | Thang Lvl 39 robotics/FF MM | IonFist Lvl 34 energy/ninjitsu stalk | The Somnabulist Lvl 33 dark/nec MM | Mr Kripplin Lvl 32 rad/rad corr | M0RBIUS Lvl 20 necro/poison MM | The Infrigidator Lvl 20 ice/cold corr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:54 am 
The Little Manic

Dude, we must have played an entirely different game. :)

Secret World has an amount of atmosfear (typo intentional) and immersion that other MMOs can only dream of and while there are hunt missions of course, they are nicely embedded in the lore and they are mixed up with sabotage/stealth and even investigation missions.

And the graphics blow away anything and everything I have ever seen (MMO or otherwise!) on a PC screen - that much I am certain of. As all the game is third person, I wonder how you got a first person shooter feeling ... *eg*

Finally I cannot for the life of me imagine how you could have missed the lore the game throws at you at the very latest from the first time you enter Kingsmouth - and it only goes deeper from there.

In closing, you should give it another chance, mate! :)
Zos
*even more sure of his 10/10 rating after playing a week now*

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:58 am 

Thanks Zos, but can you explain what kind of "powers/abilities" you have what kind of quests are generally involved? I'm sure I only had a shot-gun and it was like CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-CLICK until everything was dead.

If nothing else, I'd better read the official site and see the demos again.

X

[b]MrX Heroes: MrX Lvl 50 warshade. | MIND0R Lvl 50 mind/emp troll | The-Messenger Lvl 50 BS/regen scrap | Covert Lvl 42 kin/pys def | .Relic Lvl 42 illu/emp troll | Havoc Lvl 42 kin/elec def | The-Elemental Lvl 39 storm/dark def | Unsung Lvl 38 dark/regen scrap | WRENCH Lvl 34 shield/wrench tank | The Watcher Lvl 15 earth/rad troller | Villains: FR0STBITE Lvl 50 ice/kin corr | Dark-X Lvl 47 dark/stone brute | N'Ice Lvl 42 ice/rad corr | Vortex Lvl 42 robotics/storm MM | ShadowBaby Lvl 41 claws/regen stalk | The Cloak Lvl 41 energy/energy stalk | Thang Lvl 39 robotics/FF MM | IonFist Lvl 34 energy/ninjitsu stalk | The Somnabulist Lvl 33 dark/nec MM | Mr Kripplin Lvl 32 rad/rad corr | M0RBIUS Lvl 20 necro/poison MM | The Infrigidator Lvl 20 ice/cold corr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:11 am 
The Little Manic

Hey X,

There is no easy answer to that because the world is so varied that it is not possible to sum it up in a few sentences. Of course in any MMO (including Coh! *g*) you are essentially pressing buttons until everything is dead, but the devil is in the details here. TSW also gives you a primary and secondary power set (like shotgun) and each of this has about 4 different trees with different powers.

I am a Chaos/Fists DPS right now - true to my love for the scrapping proficiency - but if I shift my powers (you always have 7 active / 7 passive), I can be a controller or tank. And that is not even going into changing weapons and therefore sets. Once I have all the powers I need for my DPS role, I am planning to branch out into healing - which is also possible using Chaos/Fists. Or I may pick up tanking ...

True, the wealth of different powers and the freedom you have can be daunting, so the Devs have created so-called decks, which are recommended powers that compliment each other. Someone like you, who understands these mechanics and builds better than me, would probably quickly come up with just as good or better builds. :)

As you can change your role on the fly with a few clicks, you will never have to relog a character - provided your build allows more than one role.

Zos

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:50 am 

Thanks Zos. In theory I should love TSW. The subject is right down my street. Maybe that's why I was so disappointed. You have persuaded me to hold judgement until more Trepids have played the thing and fed back. ;-)

X

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:47 am 
The Little Manic

Hi,

In fairness it seems like there were problems with the beta of the game - I stumbled across this review, where the author also mentions that he was extremely unconvinced by the beta before the finished product won him over. It also sports some nice screenshots that nicely show off the gorgeous look of the game.

I will ask Mini and Catz to come in here and drop some lines about what they think. :)

Zos

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

Zos,

I'm sure Secret World is a great game, which I had followed since the beginning of its development. However, due to my recent experience with SWTOR & EA, any game with EA logo on is offlimits to me.

The Intrepids:
Blastor-Level 50 Energy/Fire/Electrical Blaster, Dr. Blast-Level 50 Robotics/Force Field/Mace Mastermind, Holy Blast-Level 50 Peacebringer, Blasting Spines-Level 50 Spines/Regeneration/Body Scrapper, Heatblast-Level 50 Invulnerability/Fiery/Pyre Tanker, Fire Blast-Level 50 Fire/Kinetics/Leviathan Corruptor, Thunder Steel-Level 50 Ninja/Ninjitsu/Mu Stalker, Israfel the Fallen-Level 50 Sonic/Thermal/Dark Corruptor, Blastor Ascended-Level 50 Psychic/Energy/Force Blaster, Fright-Level 50 Kinetic/Dark Armour/Energy Brute, Calibro-Level 50 Dual Pistols/Radiation/Power Corruptor, Nlidia-Level 50 Gravity/Storm/Ice Controller.

The Institution:
Admiral Blast-Level 50 Energy/Energy/Mace Brute, Darkest Blast-Level 50 Mind/Psionic/Leviathan Dominator, Arbiter Blast-Level 50 Crab/Mace Arachnos Soldier, Unmerciful Steel-Level 50 Dual Blades/Willpower/Soul Brute, Mind Blaster-Level 50 Dark Miasma/Psychic/Psychic Defender, Blastor Reborn-Level 50 Ice/Electric/Force Blaster, Superiora-Level 50 Invulnerability/Super Strength/Energy Tanker, Gaia Queen-Level 50 Plant/Empathy/Stone Controller, Shadow Seer-Level 50 Fortunata/Soul Arachnos Widow, Zamana-Level 50 Time/Beam Rifle Defender, Wild Raven-Level 50 Will Power/Street Justice/Energy Tanker, Nlador-Level 50 Titan/Fiery Brute.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:00 pm 
The Little Manic

Hi Blast,

In a very real sense I get what you are saying - because of EA's insistence to spy on their customers ("Origin") and their arrogant 'bite me!' responses to justified concerns (particularly in light of the illegal first EULA they wanted to push through before being stopped), I decided not to buy ME3.

But they are actually solely responsible for the distribution of the CD version, if you buy (as I did) a code directly from the Secret World page and download the client from there, you only deal with Funcom - who are also the ones calling the shots in the game. I don't know if this changes anything for you, but I wanted to mention it.

And now a bold statement, but I firmly stand by it:
At this point in time, I consider Secret World the best MMO I ever played - and the first to make me (a) seriously consider pausing my CoH sub and (b) love PvP.

Depending on the choices Funcom make in the future, this may change, but this far, TSW stands head and shoulders above anything else in the market with an amazing game and a community that rivals what we have on Union! :)

Zos

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:00 am 

Hi Zos,

Manged to download the game under this handy new offer:

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/sign ... _day_trial

which started August 15th. Talk about good timing! Unfortunately I still can't see what you like so much about this game. It might be connected to my graphics card which used to be spritely (Radeon ATI 4800 series) but the game graphics still look mediocre (at best) to me and the game stutters like hell so even moving around in the game is annoying.

The game also might suffer, from my perspective, of being overly "narrative" with lots of cut scenes that I don't have time for*. I.E. If I had a spare week and no kids and nothing else to do, I might get into it - as I do love the subject matter.

Meantime, I'll have another look tonight. Out of interest though, at what point did the game begin to get really interesting for you? In other words, how far in in terms of minutes/hours or events? There's a danger that in my rush to get the interesting bits I'm skipping them entirely.

*This became the Achilles heal of SWRTOR for me too. Excellent game (much better than TSW based on my initial impressions of TSW x 2 goes), but you need a lot more time than I have available to enjoy the thing.

X

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:21 pm 
The Little Manic

Hi X,

The game demands a high-end graphics card to look good, that much is true and if you do not have the system for it, it won't look good. On the other hand, it's not really fair blaming the game for it I find. *g* Just trust me that with a really nice GPU the fully DX11 enabled environment would blow you away as well. :) But it is not just the engine, the designers went through a lot of pains to put in little places or areas that are not relevant for the game but great for Roleplaying or just to explore. This is a game where I sometimes just wander about - even in the monster-free starting zones (Seoul, London and New York) and look for interesting places.

Now for the cut scenes, IMHO if you just skip them and still expect to be immersed into the world, it is as if you were fast forwarding through the first 10 minutes of an episode of a complex TV show and then complain that things do not make sense. Don't get me wrong, I understand why you are skipping and I am not blaming you for it - I am just pointing out that you are missing one the very thing that makes me love the game so much.

Although they have written a staggering amount of lore for the game which you can find as floaty yellow rectangles more or less hidden in the world. I have not yet had the time to read that entirely, but it manages to blend real world, legend and pop culture amazingly well.

I was already at least mildly interested in the beginning, but then I got really sucked in and before I had finished exploring Kingsmouth, I had my lifetime sub bought and paid for. Another thing I have come to appreciate is the great community, you will always find muppets but by a very large margin I met mature and fun players in practically all the pick-up groups I played with.

If you want to find me, I am Zoser in The Secret World as well and you can find me in Arcadia. :)

Zos

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:48 pm 

Watch out for MystorX then Zos. I can see an expensive new card being bought!

X

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:42 pm 
The Little Manic

Hey X,

As much as I would really really love having you in the game, play a bit more and make sure you really like it as much as I do. For story and practicality reasons (there is voluntary PvP), the cabals are faction-specific. So if you were planning ahead, I'd recommend joining the Dragon, who IMHO are by far the coolest faction anyway. The idea of taking Chaos Theory to the next logical step (using magic and tech) with the aim of creating order through controlled chaos somehow really appeals to me.

If you should end up in a Cabal group later on, be aware that we are usually typing IC, although this is not a fixed rule, especially when "outsiders" are in the team. Do you have TeamSpeak installed yet? It would make it easier for me to explain things if needed? :D

Zos

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:08 pm 

Thanks Zos. I'm afraid that I cant't do anything until I get a new g card - and I'm not in a hurry to do that just for this game. Would love to see other positive feedback on here. Reminds me that our illustrious companion Ebon Hawk was interested in TSW.

Where is he, when we need him?

I need some graphics cards tips too: cheapest nvidia card that will run this game easily + HDMI out + twin monitor support.

Ebo?

X

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:48 pm 

Hey Zos. I played a bit more tonight and can see more potential now - if I had time to play the game - but right now (and for the last 45+ minutes) I've been stuck in the Chaos Practice task. I'm supposed to "choose a combat style and the return to Dae-Su". I've chosen Elimentalism but each and every time I try and practice on the Straw Dummies I get a "Weapon Missing. You cannot use the ability".

It doesn't make sense. And nor does Dae-Su if I try and speak to him. Googling the problem doesn't find much apart from others with the same issue. Did I miss something?

It is things like this that drive me insane. I had one hour tonight to look at the game in more detail and it's been wasted just trying to test a combat style.

EDIT:: Ignore that Zos. I just re-read and worked it out. Doesn't make any sense to me why they did it like that.

X

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:27 pm 

I'm hooked. I like it. I think I had my graphics card on the wrong setting initially. And I think they made a mistake having the first main task to go round shooting stuff with a shotgun - but as soon as you can test some real powers, and pretty good they are too, and go into the real world outside then it gets interesting.

I'll have to find some more time tomorrow now.

Thanks Zos.

X

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:53 am 
The Little Manic

Hey X,

Have to say I love the progression from "hated it" to "more potential" and then "I am hooked"! :D

Sorry you had so much trouble with weapon practice - I guess I was just lucky I got what they wanted right away. But the process does make sense if you consider that they want to allow you to test all the weapon styles possible in the game, therefore they allow you to choose and re-choose your weapon.

Glad that the game looks better for you both graphic- and fun-wise now and as for the tutorial mission, I believe they wanted to ease you inside slowly and therefore decided on the shotgun. But as you get to play with the other stuff right after that, it is not too bad, I think?

Anywhoo, I will be home around 17:00 BST today, so if you want me to give you a sneak preview at some of the other cool stuff, just hail Zoser after that time and I shall appear! :D

You seem to have decided to join the Dragon, which is a very good choice indeed ... *g*

Zos

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:01 am 

Yup. Thanks Zos, I'm looking forward to exploring more. I'll see if I can get on sometime this evening but can't say when yet.

X

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:07 am 
The Little Manic

Well, barring unforeseen events, I will be there all evening.
So if you come in, just drop me a tell! :)

Zos

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:33 am 

Will do my friend. I presume a simple search for 'zoser' will find you Zos? If there's ad 'add friend' ability then trying adding 'anunnak' as in Zach 'anunnak' Sitchin!

X

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:41 am 
The Little Manic

Hi,

Yes, this function exists - simply open your "friends" window (I believe the default key is 'f') and then you see 'Add Friend' on the lower right-hand side. I will certainly use it to add "Anunnak" as soon as I get home.

BTW if you want to have a peek at Zoser's abilities, you can do so using this link. :)

Just looked at Anunnak as well - nice to see another Dragon in the game!

Zos

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:50 am 

Hi Zos,

From an earlier post to Ebon re the Bats movie:

I managed to spend a bit more time with TSW over the weekend I'm beginning to see why you like this so much Zos.

It's the kind of game that makes me think "if only CoH could afford to redo their whole game engine like this...". It's quite superb in it's detail and design, better (but smaller) than SWTOR in most respects with very good cut scenes and voice acting. Better than SWTOR though is the sophistication of the interactive elements. There is an awful lot of interesting stuff that you can do that doesn't involve "click-click-click until they're all dead".

The other element that I think is excellently done, quite surprisingly, is the Ability Wheel which is a very good interactive guide to all the power/weapon options available and some of the refinements in there, like the archetypes (decks) and other refinements to the system prevent this feeling like the power system in Champions Online and more controlled as in CoH even though it's open-ended. Top marks for that. I can't help feeling that our very god friend Blastor would appreciate this system if he could allow himself to take a look.

It's very well done and the powers themselves and effects are all good. Group teaming/fighting isn't as good as CoH, say, but forming teams is incredibly easy (even easier than CoH) with lots' of tools for teleporting team members straight to the action, etc.

Very impressive actually.

We also met Mini in the game, who'd been there on the quiet for 2-3 weeks. He only scored the game 7-8 out of ten but wouldn't confirm his favourite MMO (or the score when I pressed him). So far I'd score this 9/10. I don't like the beginning of the game so much. They really should allow you to choose from 3 different power types (instead of a shot-gun) in that opening dream scene. And the team fighting looks a little too easy/random, compared to the rest of the game. I did try a single PVP instance (taking Stone Henge, which we did Zos) and that was good fun with very good rewards for taking part (something that CoH has never rewarded, for some reason). My 3- day free trial already seems to have lasted 4+ so not sure when I'll be back though. Soon Zos.

X