THE INTREPIDS & THE INSTITUTION WEBPAGE

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Alice in Blunderland (Ahem. Title)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:04 pm 
SG Costume Kitty
 WWW  Profile

Oh god, and here I was absolutely foaming to see this film.
Like literally foaming out of my nose, ears, and mouth... And then I found out on Friday night.

"Odeon, Vue and Cineworld will not be showing Alice in Wonderland."

I died on the inside.
Not just because the only IMAX cinema here in the North East would be stuck with Blue Pocahontas for the next 3 months, but also because I would then have to be a traitor and take a trip to Empire in the centre of Newcastle instead!

Lucky Duckies those who generally do go to Empire often, but for those unluckies who do visit the 3 top UK cinema chains... Here's why, in short:

Disney had said a month prior to the Alice in Wonderland cinema release date, that they were now planning on setting the DVD release date forward to 12 weeks after Big Screen release. They ran this by all of the cinemas, and the three top chains basically said We'd rather it be the standard 16 week DVD release.
The companies battled it out for a while, and finally the decision was a no go, all advertising was removed, and trailers cut.

Now everyone in the UK has to go see the film in Empires -terrible- 3D Digital screens, rather than a choice of Odeon's IMAX, or Digital3D.

Can anyone else sob with me?

City of Heroes 50's
Catz [Tanker], Blazeix [Brute], White Fox [Triform Peacebringer]
Champions Online
Catz [37 Might/Sorcery], Deus [15 Power Armour/Munitions]

World of Warcraft
Avalei [85 Frost Death Knight] [Server: Defias Brotherhood],Ahlorian [85 Protection Paladin], Ayrn [83 Frost Deathknight], Avali [85 Fury Warrior] [Server: Argent Dawn]
DC Universe
Catz [14 Ice/Brawling Tank]

Post subject: Re: Alice in Blunderland (Ahem. Title)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:08 am 
The Little Manic

Nothing wrong with running Avatar a bit longer ... but I am sure no-one is surprised that I say so! :)

Too bad that you cannot see "Alice" in Newcastle then - strange for them to decide different for the UK, because here in Dublin the Cineworld will be showing the film, already saw a number of trailers for it.

Of course you could jet over here for the weekend, but that might be a tad excessive ... :D

Zos

Level 50s in CoH - @zoser
Zoser (main), ElectroCute, CopyCatz, Fire.Fly, PaintItBlack, Kid Aurora, LittleJoe, Zoserino, Star.Born, Starchild, and Lightning.Strike

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:04 pm 
Professor

Zos... Odean and Vue have pulled all promotion.. Cineworld is promoting it atm but is still threatening not to show it if Disney sticks to their 12 week rather than 16 week run.

Whether they will go through with that is another question. Apparently key to it all is that the cinemas are not being offered any larger cut of the proceeds to compensate for the shorter delay on DVD release, despite a fairly plausable claim that this will impact on numbers of movie-goers.

Disney claims that movies make 97% of their box office take in the first 8 weeks so it doesn't matter and as the final month will clash with the world cup that movie goer numbers will be down anyway.

It's all a bit rubbish and clearly Disney are trying to reduce the piracy market by reducing the delay between cinema release and DVD release.

Official Chiefette Translator
----------------------------------
Intrepids
LOx lvl27 Tanker
Synaptic Pulse lvl25 Defender

Legends
Ebon Hawk (Claws/Regen Scrapper)
Girl Fusion (Empathy/Rad Blast Defender)
Zenobia Blade (Broadsword/Shield/Blaze Scrapper)
Pyrokyne (Fire/Kin/Mu Corruptor)
Blaize of Glory (Fire/Fire/Fire Blaster)
Silver Falcon (Tri-form Peacebringer)
Second Sun (Fire/Rad Controller)

Institution
Bitter Blizzard lvl 50 Corruptor
Taze lvl 17 Brute

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:03 am 
The Little Manic

Piracy must be a major problem for studios and cinemas as well - I believe that Cineworld is going a very sensible way with their monthly ticket.

We shall see if they can come to some kind of agreement ...

Zos

Zoser (main), ElectroCute, CopyCatz, Fire.Fly, PaintItBlack, Kid Aurora, LittleJoe, Zoserino, Star.Born, Starchild, and Lightning.Strike

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:21 pm 
Professor

I'm not really convinced that piracy is as large a problem as the studios claim it is.

There is the constant claim that any consumption of pirated material is a lost sale. I know plenty of people who indulge in piracy and downloads of pirated/cam-cordered films etc. (and yes, I routinely tell them I disapprove) and I can tell you I'm confident that they wouldn't be heading to the cinema to see this stuff if they weren't downloading it.

I'm not saying piracy isn't bad, or that it doesn't impact the industry.... but it's a bit like anti-terrorism laws (and DRM in the gaming industry)... you should be considering how badly you're inconveniencing your legitimate customers (and for movie studios that's cinema chains... not the moviegoing public).

In general there is too much willingness on the part of law/rule makers to feel that any inconvenience to their legitimate customers is justified to make any kind of inroads in preventing 'bad' behaviour... you know what? I don't agree!

Intrepids
LOx lvl27 Tanker

Legends

Institution
Taze lvl 17 Brute

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:07 am 
The Little Manic

Wow, we have kinda derailed this thread. :D

Anyway, I cannot disagree with anything you said about the way innocent customers, well citizens in general are considered to be criminals until proven innocent.

This is a sad trend in all areas and it certainly doesn't help solving the problems at hand. So no argument there. :)

What I meant to say was that Cineworld for one is actually doing something really smart - they offer a cheap way to see as many films as you want. Everybody wins.
Why would you want to see a pirated copy if you can see the real film in a proper cinema "for free"? Well, actually you paid for it, but that money is already spent.

Sadly most other companies decide to go another route and punish their paying customers. Stupid, but apparently being smart is not a requirement for being put in charge of things.

Cheers
Zos

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:40 pm 
Forum Monkey
 YIM  Profile

O a discussion on piracy and the stupidity of cinemas and studios :D

Lets face it why do the cinemas care if its a 12 week or 16 week or 17 years release because from what I've observed your lucky if a film is showing 2 weeks after its release never mind 12 weeks you cant honestly tell me that a cinema needs exclusivity to the media for 16 weeks? I mean with the rare exemption very few films last any length of time at the cinema only the likes of Avatar, Harry potter and the twilight saga have pull sufficient to survive the next weeks big release.

So why are the cinemas bothered? simple there frightend there going loose repeat viewings to a DvD release or at least that's the only reason i can think of but 12 weeks id plenty long to get in those obsessed punters that will sit thru a movie 4 or 5 times in a row (i know of one girl who seen new moon 4 days in a row :? )

So to me it looks like we have a prime example of the cinemas getting there panties in a twist.

As to the studio piracy my arse its a money grab just the same they know fine well that if tehy can launch a DvD while the films still fresh in the punters mind there's a good chance that it'll be picked up quick and with a film that's costing as much as wonderland is you can be dam sure they want to milk the punter for every last cent they can.

Back to piracy now like ebon I agree the idea that every copy downloaded is a sale lost is pure fiction those that download pirates fall probably into to groups those that download and sell and those that download for there own use. Where those that sell are concerned you probably find all there custom comes from a very small pot of repeat customers those repeat customers fall into teh same sub groups as those that download for personal use the difrence is they just cant be arsed with the downloading bit.

As for those that download for personal use you pretty much have those that cant afford to go to the cinema and see every new release mainly kids whith know more about the internet than there parents do (tho normally not anuff to avoid some of the virus ridden sites that are out there which is good as it gives me work to do), then there are those that just wont go to the cinema for what ever reason be it young family, disability or just plain wont go, then you have the try before you buy lot.

of those the only potential loss of customer is the try before you buy lot which are probably a minority amongst the down loaders there the ones that will download a film watch it enjoy it and then go at the weekend and see the film with there mates of course on the flip side if they download and see a film and its a load of crap there gona slate it into the ground and probably go see something else IMO this is a good thing as going by a trailer is like playing rushing rulet because all the good bits are in the trailer prime example being "the day the earth stood still" i remember the trailers when it was first released painting it as a action movie with lots of bang but its nothing like that at all.

Finale point cinemas get a grip far better to loose 4 weeks of potential screening time than to loose a bunch of customers to a rival.

Angus(1), Mr Meccano(9), Hard Target(5), Big Zero(18), Anubis(9), Dummy(1)

CoH Globals: @MESS or @TRASH
Heroes
MESS (50) Tank

Villians
Tainted Mess (50) Brute, TRASH (50) Brute, Magmite (50) Brute, Smelt Furnace (50) Brute

The rest of my Alts

Twitter (don't expect me to update it)

Catz wrote:
/em praise
You are God like!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:14 pm 

Ebon Hawk wrote:
I'm not really convinced that piracy is as large a problem as the studios claim it is.

Don't worry...the Digital Economy Bill will save them! :|

I'll be dissapointed if Cineworld don't show this film. I was planning on taking Jasmine with our Cineworld/Tesco vouchers 8)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:01 pm 
SG Costume Kitty
 WWW  Profile

Cineworld caved in.
They're showing it now.

Vue and Odeon still battling it out.

City of Heroes 50's
Champions Online

World of Warcraft
Avalei [85 Frost Death Knight] [Server: Defias Brotherhood],Ahlorian [85 Protection Paladin], Ayrn [83 Frost Deathknight], Avali [85 Fury Warrior] [Server: Argent Dawn]
DC Universe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:27 am 
The Little Manic

You must be one happy furry now! :D

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:26 am 
SG Costume Kitty
 WWW  Profile

Zoser wrote:
You must be one happy furry now! :D

Hah not yet.
My local Cineworld is in Sunderland.
I ain't taking a trip to there anytime soon.

I work at Odeon, so I stick with Odeon :)
(And their views of Disney being money suc--Yes... :shock: )

City of Heroes 50's
Champions Online

World of Warcraft
DC Universe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:06 pm 
SG Costume Kitty
 WWW  Profile

One moment..

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Odeon are showing it!
SHOWING IT!
*runs in circles* \o\

City of Heroes 50's
Champions Online

World of Warcraft
DC Universe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:00 pm 
Professor

and I'd wondered if Odeon were going to stick it out for sheer bloody-mindedness!

When I read earlier that Vue had caved it seemed only a matter of time before Odeon did too. If all 3 big chains had held out they would have maybe had some leverage... just one was never going to get its way.

But good news for you kitty!

Intrepids
LOx lvl27 Tanker

Legends

Institution
Taze lvl 17 Brute

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:53 am 
The Little Manic

*shoots a catnip-tranqdart at the hyperactive kitty*
*sproing*

Damn rock armour ... shoulda gotten one of them Adamantium darts ... ah well - happy you are happy, Kitty! :D

Zos

TSW - Zoser (Arcadia)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:52 am 

so catzie ^^ wheres our free odeon cinema tickets :P

Heroes

Mistress Heal (lvl 50 Defender)/(lvl 32 Defender)
Rockealie (lvl 50 tanker)
Nictus Heal (lvl 50 Warshade)
Kheldian Heal (lvl 50 Peacebringer)
Felispine (lvl 50 Scrapper)
Tickled Pink (lvl 50 Tanker)
Evasive (lvl 50 Scrapper)
Amplified (lvl 50 Blaster)
Madame Heal (lvl 50 Defender)
Dominatrix Heal (lvl 50 Controller)
Countess Heal (lvl 50 Defender)
Healie (lvl 32 Scrapper)
Black Chastity (lvl 37 Scrapper)
Sakhmet (lvl 32 Scrapper)
Feli (lvl 27 Scrapper)
Kynxie (lvl 20 controller)
Radealie (lvl 19 defender)
Insecta Sapien (lvl 14 defender)

Villains

Foxie Fatale (lvl 50 Stalker)
Hot Heal (lvl 50 Corruptor)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:37 am 
SG Costume Kitty
 WWW  Profile

Ah! One of the first people in the country to see Alice in Wonderland, and I must say I am impressed. Tim Burton as usual lives up to his for creating rather Macabre films, and old tale with a dark twist as it were.

The film starts off in the usual manner of meeting Alice, but not as we originally knew it. I did enjoy the twist he brings into it. (Here the be spoilers:) Alice is almost 20 in this version of Alice, and has completely no recognition of Wonderland, now called Underland, only in her dreams.
The tea party scene is still, and will always be one of my favourite moments in the film, this is where the 3D comes into show for it's IMAX presentation with the March Hare throwing teacups at the screen, which made me flinch! But it also encorporates the unbelievably randomness of the original film, the Hatter musing to himself and the March Hare randomly shouting things like "Spoon!" And "Oooh Teacup..."

The characters are very well thought out, Johnny Depp as usual bringing the acting up a notch with his portrail of the Mad Hatter, and Helen Bonham Carter being a fantastic Queen of Hearts with a rather large head "I do love my Fatboys!"
However I purrr-sonally preferred Steven Fry as the Chesire Cat.

The story is a little bit slow and confusing at first, but once Alice gets into Wonderland, the fun begins.
A film I would reccomened seeing in any format! Even though I saw it in IMAX (I am so spoiled ;D).

An Uber end scene! And awesome Characters.
9/10 !

City of Heroes 50's
Champions Online

World of Warcraft
DC Universe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:33 pm 
 WWW  Profile

going to see it tonight with the dudette cannot wait, oh catz buddy any chance of you winging lots of free odeon premier points on my account purlease ha....

Supes' 50 Family:

Super Electrode - Blaster
Warrior Electrode - Scrapper
Electrode Storm - Controller
Captain liberty Jr - Tank
Captain Snowspeed - Defender
Fallout Electrode - Corrupter
Ninja Electrode - Stalker

-------------------------------------------------
Holy Electrified Furballs!!!
Go Super Team Electrode!!!

--------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------
@Electrode

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:43 pm 
SG Costume Kitty
 WWW  Profile

electrode wrote:
going to see it tonight with the dudette cannot wait, oh catz buddy any chance of you winging lots of free odeon premier points on my account purlease ha....

You'd have to give me your card.
And you'd have to buy something.

So technically, In laymans terms.
No.

City of Heroes 50's
Champions Online

World of Warcraft
DC Universe